Keeping Track of Rows with Different Patterns

When knitting or crocheting a pattern that has different instructions for each row I copied the pattern and cut out each row and put 1 row on a 3X5 blank index card and put it into the binder that comes with index cards. (I bought mine at Wal-Mart). The binder has 2 rings and comes with some of the cards. I put the cut out name on the top card, materials on the next using 1 card for each different section (gauge, etc.) then I start with putting the rows individually on a card. ONLY one side of a card. After the pattern rows are on the cards; I take a large paper clip and put it on the row that I am currently working on. That way if I lose my place I can find where I was. This is an efficient way of doing a particularly difficult or easy project.

By Sheila S from Leominster, MA

When I'm knitting I use a small notepad (or page) and write in a column down the left of the page the appropriate numbers for rows (i.e. for 12 rows I'd write numbers 1 through 12 down the left side of the page, then as I knit I use a pen and tick beside each number, I've never lost my place and I've been doing this for more than 20 years.

Good idea! I just use a sticky note placed under the row I'm working on to keep track of where I'm at.