Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Planning a BBQ for 100 People

I am hosting a BBQ for about 100 people. Keep in mind there are about 25 kids under the age of 12. I would appreciate any serving suggestions for all the categories of food.

As my menu, I have brats, hamburgers, pulled pork, and hot dogs. I plan to have potatoes of some sort, and corn (leaning towards canned). I will also have a 7 bean dish, as well as, potato salad, coleslaw, pickles, and pasta salad.

Snacks- cut up veggies lots of them- peppers, carrots, mushrooms, cauliflower, broccoli, etc. and fruit- strawberries, pineapple, watermelon, grapes, cantaloupe, and honeydew.

I actually have desert worked out - cup cakes of chocolate and key lime; two different desserts. I have a tendency to over feed and buy too much. Any suggestions? Oh yeah, beer, soda and lemonade for beverages.

Andee from Waukesha, WI

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Sandee (Guest Post)06/24/2008

My deli said a pound of any kind of food feeds 4 to 6 people. Since you have a very large selection, I would lean towards the 6 people. You also know that not everybody is going to eat some of every single thing that you are serving.

Now, think of your and your immediate family at the bar-b-que. How would each of you fill your plates? I, myself, would probably take two meats, 1/2 cup pasta salad, 1/2 cup corn or chips if you had some, 1 cup of raw veggies, 1 cup of fruit, 1 dessert.

Your party sounds delicious. I would skip potatoes since you are doing potato salad. Perhaps add a couple of bags of potato chips, only open them as you run out.

Men will probably choose two meats, women--some will take 2, some 1, so plan for 1 1/2 meats, children 1 meat--most likely hot dogs or hamburgers.

You do have a lot of food here. Kids probably wouldn't eat any of the salads but will take finger foods like the raw veggies and fruit and pickles.

I suggest skipping the coleslaw--it doesn't sound like it goes with the rest of the meal, plus you have so much to choose from besides that. Another thing to think about--coleslaw and corn could make some other foods soggy when they are put together on a plate.

By Dianne06/23/2008

I haveb founbd where there are kids involved, cup cakes are messy with the paper cup cake ...use ice cream cones ( round with flat bottom ) fill cone with approx 1/2 to a tad less than 1/2. I out mine in my muffun pans and bake in the overn until done. Cool and add icing....Also I have se beside them sprinkles, icing, candies and makes a great project5 for thern kids to keep busy and make their own. They love this at our church socials.

By Laurel Herbert (Guest Post)06/23/2008

I live in Australia and have found that at BBQ's a lot of drinking goes on so we tend to cook only half the amount of food to the amout of guests as a lot of the men tend to drink more than they do eat. We put out more snacks for people to eat as there is usually a lot of food wastage.

By Janet [7]06/23/2008

Just a thought....with the price of beef & all the recalls, it is cheaper to BBQ chicken. I boil mine first to make sure it is thoroughly cooked. Good luck. It sounds like fun.

Here are questions related to Planning a BBQ for 100 People.

Question: Amount of Hamburger Needed for 100 People

How much hamburger will I need to use to feed approximately one hundred people at a barbecue?

By Kelly

Most Recent Answer

By Suntydt05/23/2012

It really depends on a few factors. How lean is your beef? If you have really good beef (80/20 or better) you can figure to get 5 or 6 good size burgers out of each pound. Another factor is how many of these people eat burgers and how many of them EAT burgers. Many women eat 1, most men eat 2. Kids vary greatly, some don't eat burgers (or at least not on a bun) but many kids eat hot dogs. You may want to have some of those for kids and people who prefer dogs over beef.

So, let us say you have 50 men and 50 women. Each couple will average 3 burgers. If we get 6 burgers out of every pound then 1 pound will feed 2 couples (4 people). For a hundred people you will need 25 lbs. to feed 50 couples. If children are involved then figure the average couple has 1.5 kids each. That is a good many kids, 75 to be exact. You can say 2/3 of those kids would prefer a hotdog. So for 25 kids you need another 25lbs to be safe. With regard to the hotdogs you need 13 (8 dog) packs (104 dogs) to be safe.

If you were counting kids in the 100 people then this is way to much. But you can probably get a better idea this way.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Planning a BBQ for 100 People

I am planning a surprise 75th birthday party for my husband. There will be approx 100 people (all seniors) for a BBQ at our clubhouse. It will include a BYOB. We want to grill hamburgers, brats and dogs. We'll serve potato salad, slaw and BBQ Beans and watermelon. I need help in how much to purchase. We want to keep it simple, due to social security income. Thanks!

Mary from Tampa Bay, FL

RE: Planning a BBQ for 100 People

When we are planning cookouts and such I always plan on about a .25lb of sides per person. That will give you plenty for heavy eaters. So in that case for like potato salad etc you would lean towards about 25lbs. If there are going to be allot of women children and older people you might want to drop to 18-20lbs. Hope I helped (01/29/2008)

By sarah.

RE: Planning a BBQ for 100 People

Wow, Congrats to the "BIRTHDAY BOY" on his 75th...click on this website , http://recipegoldmine.com/kitchart/kitchart14.html It will give you the amounts to feed a large party, but take into consideration they will be eating a little of everything on the menu. Best of luck with your event! (01/29/2008)

By JoAnnDeMom

RE: Planning a BBQ for 100 People

Here is a link that you may find helpful: http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf73866617.tip.html Good luck, it sounds like a fun party! (01/30/2008)

By Laurel_admin

RE: Planning a BBQ for 100 People

For the meat, you don't want to have too little (or too much). In my experience, about half the people will eat two meats, 45% one meat, 5% three meats. That's 160 meats. Hot dogs will probably be the least popular choice, but they are cheapest. You can probably get 5 hamburgers out of a pound, so go for 18 lbs. That gives 90 burgers.

Buy about 50 brats and maybe 5 bags of hot dogs. You can buy more dogs or have some on hand that are frozen to quickly pull out for extras. Good news is that the cooked meats can freeze well if you buy too much. Another method is to figure about 1/2 lb per person and another 1/4 lb for half the people--so 1/2 lb per person is 50 lbs, and the 1/4 lb for half the people is 12.5 lbs, for 62.5 lbs total.

Have fun! (01/31/2008)

By Sandy from WI

RE: Planning a BBQ for 100 People

I see that you are having a BYOB party, But thought this might be helpful to someone out there. Don't forget to look at the right side of this page to see RELATED Links.

Punch for 100

This recipe for Wedding Punch that serves 100 people.

Ingredients

• 6 packages Raspberry koolade
  • 2 dozen Lemons
  • 3 Large cans Pineapple Juice
  • 4 large bottles of Gingerale
  • 2 bottles of Grenadine
  • 6 cups of sugar
  • 6 qts. water
  • Directions Mix all ingredients In an angel food cake pan (or Jello mold) pour in some of the punch and freeze (to float in large punch bowl.) Add some lemon and orange slices and some fresh whole strawberries. And/Or add scoops of rainbow sherbet to float.

Jessie Cates Meat Loaf

• 20 pounds ground extra lean meat
  • 10 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 4 oz. ketchup
  • 12 oz. I.Q.F. onions
  • 4 Tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons salt
  • 2 Tablespoons black pepper
  • 1 Tablespoon nutmeg
  • 2 oz. mustard
  • 2 cups bread crumbs
  • By adding a green bell pepper or two chopped fine and a grated carrot you could stretch the amount of patties you'd get.

There is no baking instructions. I think I remember them served in oblong individual loaf pan sizes though. How about making this up as patties and freezing them? Best wishes for a successful 75th party. Have a ball. GG Vi (02/04/2008)

By Great Granny Vi