Card Game: Runs And Sets

In the game "Sets and Runs", if I fail to discard and the next player acts, am I disqualified for that round? Or is there a penalty?

By Maria from IL

Sorrry, not familiar with the game. Try checking out a book of Hoyl at your local library, it should have the answer to your question in there.

If this link doesn't have your answer then just set the rule before the game begins. ;-)

Google 'sets and runs' card game rules, click on first one that comes up, I just checked it out.

December 16, 2010 Flag

Need clarification on rules for sets and runs.

1. If a player wants to replace a joker which has been played in a run, does the player have to be on the board themselves in order to do this?

2. If a player has 6 3s can they make this 2 sets of 3s?

3. If a player has not laid down the required set, run, or combination thereof, can they discard a card that could be played on the board?

Boop from Columbus, OH

Card Game: Runs And Sets

The answer is yes to all three.
The third one though, I would try to not discard a card that someone could pick up to add to their runs or sets.

You run the risk of them going out and leaving you with a handful of cards (07/02/2008)

Card Game: Runs And Sets

2. yes
3. no (07/03/2008)

By Sandee

Card Game: Runs And Sets

1. 3 sets of 3
  2. 2 sets of 3 and a run of 4
  3. 2 sets of 4
  4. 1 set of 4 and a run of 5
  5. 2 sets of 4 and a run of 3
  6. 2 runs of 5
  7. 1 run of 5 and a set of 5
  8. 3 sets of 4
  9. 1 run of 10
  10. 1 run of 6 and a set of 3
  11. 2 sets of 5
  12. 2 runs of 4 and a set of 3
  13. 1 run of 10

point 3-8=5 points

9-king=10 points

2 & aces=20 points

jokers=50 points

13 cards to each player

By Ricky M.

Card Game: Runs And Sets

Years ago it was such that all sets were 3 cards. All runs were 4 cards (when initially laid down). In the first hand, 6 cards are required to lay down. Each successive hand required an additional card to be played. This applies through to the last hand which required 13 cards to be laid down. Therefore, the game is played as such with 12 cards being dealt:

• 2 sets (6 cards)
  • 1 run & 1 set (7 cards)
  • 2 runs (8 cards)
  • 3 sets (9 cards)
  • 2 sets & 1 run (10 cards)
  • 2 runs & 1 set (11 cards)
  • 3 runs (12 cards)
  • 3 sets & 1 run (13 cards)*

*This hand is to be played with NO discard! Therefore, there should be no "May I'ing" with this hand in order to lay down. Difficult.

Have fun. (08/28/2010)

By kd0105

June 30, 2008 Flag

Has any one ever played Runs and Sets, with playing cards? I am looking for instructions and the order of the game. Played it many years ago and now do not remember how.

Vicki from Lubbock,Texas

Card Game: Runs And Sets

A quick google search turned up this...dont know if it is what you were looking for. Looks complex!

Sets and Runs: (07/03/2007)

By K

Card Game: Runs And Sets

I was just looking for this myself, and found some rules at that are for a card game called Push. If you can't connect, google in "sets and runs card games", & you'll find a title: Rules for Push Card Game--it's similar to Sets & Runs. Click on it.
Two decks are used. I played many years ago and have a sheet with the scores: Joker - 50; aces & twos - 20; 10, J, Q, K - 10; 3,4,5,6,7,8,9 - 5. (Same as Push)

Dealing of cards: first hand is 7 cards, next hand is 8, then 9--each hand increases by 1 card up to & including 13. (Two more deals than Push)

Melds per each consecutive hand are: 1) 2 sets of three. 2) 1 set of 3, 1 run of 4. 3) 2 runs of 4. 4) 3 sets of 3. 5) 2 sets of 3, 1 run of 4. 6) 2 runs of 4, 1 set of 3. 7) Dealer selects either runs of 3 or sets of 4.

I think the rest of the Push directions are what I remember playing. Enjoy!! (I tried to modify these instructions to make them more readable, but the system wouldn't let me change.) (07/08/2007)

By Marivan

Card Game: Runs And Sets

This sounds similar to a card game I just played with my visiting sisters-in-law called Base 10. I couldn't find any rules for it on the web and you have to buy the game so you get the right cards (need to have red, blue, green and gold colored cards); but in addition to having to get a run of one color to win some hands, you also have to get sets of all one number or runs (like 2-3-4-5-6-7-8, for instance). The cards run 1 through 12 and the game also uses Skip and Wild cards. Guess you would have to look for it at a toy or game store. It's really fun, though. (07/09/2007)

By Lynn from Calif.

Card Game: Runs And Sets

The game you are looking for may be "Contract Rummy"
Go to
They have the rules to all the card games listed alphabetically. Look for contract rummy

Hi, to all the card players out there, I always say that I have never met a deck of cards that I didn't like. (07/09/2007)

Card Game: Runs And Sets

Thank you everyone for your help on finding the card game Runs and Sets. Thank you K for telling where to go for the rules and order of game. That was it thanks again.
Vicki Lubbock.Texas

By VickiM

Entertainment Games Card GamesDecember 16, 2010
Stack of very old encyclopedias.
Finding the Value of Old Encyclopedia Sets
Bucket catching leak.
Cleaning Up a Water Leak in Basement
wood and rope ring toss game
Ring Toss Game Ideas
A trunk for putting congratulations card into at a wedding.
Making a Card Box for Your Wedding