Make Your Own Shampoo

I was wondering if anyone knows how to make their own shampoo?

Heather

I guess I'm wondering why you would want to?

Most shampoo you can get for under $1 or free and the medicated ones aren't something you really can make.

Other than using Vinager once in awhile to help with greasy hair, I don't know of any others, sorry

http://www.frugalforlife.com

You can make shampoo out of soapwort. I have to, as I have a chronic scalp condition which is irritated by some of the stuff that is in shampoo.

All I do is boil up a handful of soapwort root in a pint of water with a sprig of rosemary. Simmer for 5 minutes, leave until cold, then strain. You don't need the rosemary, but it smells nice. You could use another herb, if you like.

Bottle it, and put it in the fridge, it should keep for 2 weeks. To use it, massage ot gradually into your hair, combing it in. It won't foam up much, and it is very watery. Then rinse it off with plenty of warm water. You won't need conditioner, as it is very gentle and won't strip the hair of all of its natural oil. It won't feel squeaky clean like bought shampoo leaves the hair, but it WILL be clean, you have to take a step of faith in it until it is dry. It really is great for flyaway, frizzy hair. You can grow soapwort in the garden, it has pretty pink flowers.

Hope that is helpful.

I have found lots of recipes for various items (shampoos included - although I haven't tried them yet) at

http://www.recipegoldmine.com

Hope this helps,

Terry Lynn

4 oz of castile soap with any scent is that available  plain, peppermint, eucalyptus.

1/2 oz of rosemary - stimulates the hair follicles and helps to prevent premature baldness

1/2 oz of sage has antioxidants and keeps things from spoiling and is antibacterial

1/2 oz of nettles acts as a blood purifier, blood stimulator, contains a large source of nutrients for hair growth

1/2 oz of lavender-controls the production of sebaceous gland oil and reduces itchy and flaky scalp conditions

2000 mg of MSM-provides organic sulfur to your scalp, which improves the health and strength of your hair. It also helps to drive herbal nutrient into the skin and follicles where they can do the most good.

one empty 8 oz plastic bottle, or any other empty shampoo or soap bottle.

Mix the herbs in a mason jar, which has a lid. Boil 2 cups of distilled water. Add 3 heaping tablespoons of the mixed herbs into the boiling water. Pull the boiling water and herbs off the stove. Let the herb mixture sit for 30 -40 minutes. Put the 2000mg of MSM into the herb mixture after 30 minutes of cooling. After 40 minutes and the MSM is melted, strain the herbal mixture into a bowl.

Pour 2 to 2 1/2 oz of strained herbal tea into the 8 oz plastic bottle. Now, pour the 4 oz of castile soap into the 8 oz plastic bottle. Cap the bottle and shake to mix the ingredients.

The shampoo is now finished and ready for use.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/ar ... 14/how_to_make_homemade_shampoo.html

when you have an extremely sensitive scalp, most shampoos are not tolerated well.

For me if I use regular shampoos, I end up with a systemic allergic reaction.

I came across this book on making your own shampoo due to allergies and it's been awesome for my hair. You can find more information here:

http://makeshampoo.net/

I don't know either

You would want to if you don't like the idea of exposer to chemicals that can cause allergic and even deadly reactions.

There are many good reasons to avoid commercial shampoos and personal care products. Being frugal also means being a good steward- not just of our immediate resources, but our planet's resources too.

You can actually wash your hair with a little baking soda and rinse thoroughly, followed by a few spritzes of apple cider vinegar rubbed in and rinsed out. Your hair will need about two weeks to fully adjust, but after that, it will be just as nice, if not nicer, then it originally was.

Health & Beauty Beauty Beauty Recipes HairSeptember 12, 2005
Pouring Shampoo
Uses for Shampoo
Dry Dog Shampoo Recipes
Dry Dog Shampoo Recipes
A dog after a bath.
Homemade Dog Shampoo Recipes
A man applying coal tar shampoo.
Using Coal Tar Shampoo
🎄