Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Cleaning Burnt Oil Stains from a Sauté Pan

How do you clean all the "yellow" cooked on oil on saute pans and old burn stains, etc.? The pan has been stained for a while.

Sally from Northern Virginia

By Patty [6]08/19/2006

Even less is to use baking soda. Sprinkle some in the pan, get it damp and scrub. It won't scratch, is bio friendly, and is soooo inexpensive. I use it on porcelain sinks too. Works great.

By Carrie [2]08/18/2006

I guess you mean stainless steel pans. Soak in a sink with Dawn liquid detergent. Use SOS.

To avoid this in the future, wipe with a paper towel or a teflon scrubber as soon as you are through cooking and rinse. Then your pans won't be stained.

By (Guest Post)08/18/2006

Use a steel wool pad (SOS or store brand), works great. I have never been impressed with Barkeeper's Friend. Don't know what all the hype is about. I bought some and it did nothing on my tub or sink that is badly stained from use. BUT it may work on pots and pans.

By Kelly [15]08/18/2006

If it is stainless steel/aluminum please try Barkeeper's friend (sold next to Bon Ami) it is the best for removing old stains. Dampen the area, sprinkle it on, rub it in and let it set for a minute or two. Then scrub to rinse it off. It takes some elbow grease, but this stuff gets old oil, tarnish and rust out of almost any metal! And it sells for less than a dollar!