Three Kitchen Tips in One!

These might be well known to some of us "sage" cooks, but here's hoping they help those new to the wonderful world of cooking!

Tip #1: I buy eggs by the 60 packs. Sometimes, as the end of the month, I have a few left. I take those out of my container, and hit them with a felt tip marker. Then, put them back in the container and I know they need to be used first. I used to put them in a seperate bowl, but now I can save the room. Eggs with marks to show the oldest ones.

Tip #2: When I chop off the ends of celery, I freeze them. They stay good for about 3 months. I then pop them in a soup or stew stock, just to flavor the liquid. It's especially nice if I don't have celery that week. Once the end is used up, I just spoon it out and toss it away. The end cut off a bunch of celery.

Tip #3: I have almost no counter space in my kitchen. Recently, I got the idea that I would put things in a drawer that I seldom use, you know the stuff. Then, set a cutting board on it. It's easy to remove, clean, and get things out of the drawer, but there when you need the extra space. I use it just for breads, fruits and veggies, so it doesn't run "afoul" (he he). Place a cutting board on top of a seldom used drawer.

By Sandi from Salem, OR

I also like the idea of putting the eggs in the plastic "shoe box". Never would have thought of the celery idea either. Thanks.

Because egg shells are porous, I don't think I would like to use a marker on them. I just hard boil and shell the older eggs and use them that way. I have some recipes that use hard boiled eggs and although it takes time, I finely chop the tops of the celery, especially the leaves, put them in a zip lock bag and use them in soups and stews straight from the freezer.

Woman Sifting Flour to Make Cookie Dough
Frugal Kitchen Tips and Tricks
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsJuly 21, 2011
Tres Leche Cake
Tres Leche Cake Recipes
Xoloitzcuintli (Mexican Hairless)
Xoloitzcuintli (Mexican Hairless) Breed Information and Photos
Corn growing in a three sisters mound.
Growing Corn, Beans and Squash Together (Three Sisters)
Large Kitchen Fire
Preventing Kitchen Fires