Three Kitchen Tips in One!

These might be well known to some of us "sage" cooks, but here's hoping they help those new to the wonderful world of cooking!

Tip #1: I buy eggs by the 60 packs. Sometimes, as the end of the month, I have a few left. I take those out of my container, and hit them with a felt tip marker. Then, put them back in the container and I know they need to be used first. I used to put them in a seperate bowl, but now I can save the room.

Tip #2: When I chop off the ends of celery, I freeze them. They stay good for about 3 months. I then pop them in a soup or stew stock, just to flavor the liquid. It's especially nice if I don't have celery that week. Once the end is used up, I just spoon it out and toss it away.

Tip #3: I have almost no counter space in my kitchen. Recently, I got the idea that I would put things in a drawer that I seldom use, you know the stuff. Then, set a cutting board on it. It's easy to remove, clean, and get things out of the drawer, but there when you need the extra space. I use it just for breads, fruits and veggies, so it doesn't run "afoul" (he he).

By Sandi from Salem, OR

I also like the idea of putting the eggs in the plastic "shoe box". Never would have thought of the celery idea either. Thanks.

Because egg shells are porous, I don't think I would like to use a marker on them. I just hard boil and shell the older eggs and use them that way. I have some recipes that use hard boiled eggs and although it takes time, I finely chop the tops of the celery, especially the leaves, put them in a zip lock bag and use them in soups and stews straight from the freezer.

Often when I am using celery, I am also using onions and carrots. I stuff all of the usually discarded peels and end pieces of the vegetables into a zippered freezer bag to use to make stock. I add to the bag until I feel I have enough then haul it out for vegetable stock. For chicken stock, simply add chicken parts such as wing tips, neck, skin, etc. and beef stock only needs bones. I strain out all the used vegetables and bones when the stock is cooked down enough and have my own delicious broth for any recipe that calls for it.