Recipe for Gentle Skin Toner

Does anyone have a recipe for a gentle skin toner?

There is a natural plant that's called aloe vera. It's good for dry skin if that's what your looking for. My husband puts it on. He has very fair skin. He rubs it on when he gets burned from the sun, it helps him so much. I know you can also eat it as well.

If, by toner, you mean a mild astringent, try rosewater. It can be bought at a pharmacy and drug stores. If your skin is dry, try adding a little glycerine to it. Dab it on with a cotton wool ball on clean skin.

Dorianne, Belgium

Dickinson's Witch Hazel works wonders! You can get it in an alcohol free version too, but you might have to look for that one. Really any witch hazel works, stinks a little but the smell goes away. I take my surface makeup off when I get home, just to get some of the gunk off, then do a real cleaning later.

Hope that helps!

Try this recipe-

1/2 c. Lemon Juice

1 c. Distilled Water

2/3 c. Witch Hazel

Combine all the ingredients in a glass measuring cup and mix well. Pour into a clean bottle or container. It will stay fresh in a refrigerator for upto one week. Shake well before each use. Apply with a cotton ball or soft cloth.

Try this one, it will balance the ph of any skin and I used it for a spa party when my niece turned thirteen. I've included the metric as I see you are from Ontario, like me.

2 c. (475 mL) distilled water

1/4 c. (59 mL) apple cider vinegar

10 drops of your favourite essential oil, try lavender, lemon or rose ( I used 6 of rose, 5 of lavender for a lavender/rose scent that everyone loved, including me)

Combine all ingredients and store (does not need refrigeration) Use about l tbsp (15 mL) per application. The vinegar helps combat the alkaline residue that soap and cleansers leave behind. When your skin mantains the correct pH balance (5:5), it has a much better chance of fighting off infections.

Shake bottle before each use. Use daily followed by moisturizer. MAKES ABOUT 32 treatments.

You do not say what skin type you have other than what sounds like sensitive.

Here's one that is good for all skin types, especially rashy or irritated.

1 tbsp (15 mL) crushed fennel seeds

1/4 c. (59 mL) apple cider vinegar

2 cups (473 mL) distilled water

2 tsp (10 mL) plain glycerin (see the first aid section of your favourite drugstore)

You need something to crush the fennel, see if you can get it already crushed or ground somewhere. If not, a mortar and pestle works if u had one if not, put them in a zip lock and pound them gently with a rolling pin or bottle.

About 32 treatments, use daily. Will also soften hair if used as a rinse. Retores ph and soften skin too.

Boil water. Remove from heat, add crushed fennel seeds. Allow to steep for 45 minutes. Strain, add vinegar and glycerin, and store. Shake well before each use. Use l tbsp (15 mL) per application; splash on if desired. Does not require refrigeration if product is used up within 30 days.

Hi Norma,

If you have dry or sensitive skin, try dissolving a teaspoon of powdered milk in a cup of spring water and applying it with a cotton bowl or spray bottle. Instead of powdered milk you can use about 2-3 teaspoons of regular milk. Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice if you'd like a more astringent effect. I've posted a lot of natural skin care recipes like this on my website if you're interested (! I hope this helps.

Many thanks to all of you who were kind enough to send me recipes for "Gentle Skin Toner".

They all sound lovely, and I'll enjoy trying them.

A woman cleaning her face with skin toner.
Homemade Skin Toner
Health & Beauty Beauty Skin Care CleansingSeptember 29, 2007
Printer ink color cartridges.
Saving Money on Toner & Inkjet Cartridges
Bernese Mountain Dog
Bernese Mountain Dog Breed Information and Photos
bandaid covering a skin tag
Remedies for Skin Tags
Great Dane
Great Dane Breed Information and Photos