Adult Pads as Alternative to "Puppy Pads"

contest winner icon

Most everyone I know owns a pet. They can be expensive but I try to cut corners and save where I can. There is nothing like the unconditional love of an animal. I rescued my dog on what was, to be her last day. The Humane Society can only keep dogs a certain length of time, and Daisy's time was up. They had brought her and several other dogs, whose time was up also, to the Pet Depot store in a busy shopping center to give them one last chance to be seen and hopefully adopted. You just had to pay a fee that covered the cost of the shots and having the animal spayed or neutered.

The dog I adopted, Daisy, was the only dog left when I got to the store and she looked terrified. They explained that she most likely had come from an abusive home and was a little older than the other dogs that had been adopted. Most people wanted puppies, and she was at least a year or two old. She was house trained and that was a plus, and I just couldn't stand the thoughts of leaving her to be carted off and put to sleep. She was a pretty dog and so sweet and gentle. She was also so scared that I had to actually crawl into the big cage to finally get her to come to me.

Normally she comes to me and gives me the look that I know means that she needs to go outside. But there are times when having a pad down (sickness, having to be gone for longer than you expect) for her really comes in handy. I learned pretty quick that buying puppy pads was expensive and some brands were flimsy and just didn't cut it. I started shopping around and asking questions and I learned a very important lesson. Don't buy puppy pads. If you want to save money plus buy a better pad, go to adult diaper section. Buy the pads that you can lay on the bed for a person that can't get up and down. I generally buy mine at the Dollar General store and get the store brand. You save so much, because you get double what you would get buying the puppy pads. The bed pads are much more absorbent and larger then the puppy pads, making them more cost efficient. In the picture I have posted you can see the size difference, what you can't see is that the material of the puppy pad on a scale of 1 to 10 is a 3 and the other is a 10. I hope this provides someone with some info that is helpful.

By Nickykitty from Cullman, AL

A really great idea, thank you!

A really great and frugal idea!

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You. I have 2 Chihuahuas and they are house dogs and the older one hates the snow and will not "go" outside in the snow. I have run out of newspapers and puppy pads This will be a lifesaver for me.

I've been using adult pads for years. I get them at Sam's Club. To save even more, if your dogs are small,cut the pads in half. I have 5 little indoor dogs and a box of those pads lasts several weeks.

This is a really nifty tip! I had some underpads left over when my mother passed on, and I used them several years later for bedding when my 18 year old cat was failing, and could no longer get up to use her pan. I never thought of looking for them in a dollar store, though. I'll keep this in mind if I need them in the future.

By the way, please post a picture of your dog, Daisy. Blessings to you for rescuing her and giving her a better life and a good home!

This is an excellent idea. I checked it out myself and the adult pads were great.

Great idea! My sister taught me that these are also great for when your young child needs to spend the night at someone else's house. Since most people don't have waterproof mattress pads on their guest bed or couch, you can sleep one of these right under the sheets and you don't have to stress about your child accidentally wetting the bed.

Great idea! As an owner of three dogs, one who had seizures and refused to be housebroken, I had to find a really inexpensive way to make some housebreaking pads. My answer was to just use old towels. I set them aside to lay down on the floor every day and would just pick them up and put them in a trash can on the porch till wash day. I also used my steam mop on that area to kill any germs.

Now we have two housebroken furbabies but we used that method for many years when we needed to.

Hi - My son has 2 small dogs and sometimes he sleeps late due to working long hours and his dogs cannot wake him for their morning "run". These work great and cost much less than puppy pads.

I also look for these at Hospice and thrift stores as they receive many donations and can save you a lot of money.

Wish you had posted a picture of Daisy; I'll love to see the lucky little girl.

Great idea. And, what you didn't mention is that the adult pad gives more room for the product, so there may not be as many accidents leaking from the edge of the pad.

I use diaper bags to scoop from Dollar Tree, $1.00 for 75 count. The pet bags are the same price for 50 count and gray instead of pink. A bonus is the fact that it's easier to spot a pink bag on the lawn than a dark gray bag.

I use these for my cat. Instead of litter I use the pads, she seems to like them better and the litter isn't tracked all over the floor. Another plus is that the litter gets pretty heavy in the trash bag and these are so much lighter.

I have a 14 year old Chihuahua and a 10 year old rat terrier who are home alone for up to 12 hours at a time when I'm working, so put down pads because I know that's too long to hold it. For some reason my cats have started peeing on the pads too (in addition to using their litter boxes)!! I buy the hospital "chux pads" on Amazon. You can search for "chux", "weewee pads", "peepee pads", "puppy pads", etc.. I have found places to buy them for around $32 for a case of 150. What a lifesaver! McKesson makes a really good pad: thick, absorbent, and in a variety of sizes.

Puppy sniffing piddle pad.
Saving Money on Piddle Pads
Photos Pets OtherFebruary 2, 2011
Photo of a yellow rubber glove.
Making Your Own Clorox Ready Mop Pads
Woman and Her Adult Daughter
Being a Parent to Adult Children
steel wool
Preventing Brillo or SOS Pads from Rusting
Adults at Birthday Party
Adult Birthday Party Ideas
🎉
🎄