Browsing: Saving Money on Oil Changes

Saving Money on Oil Changes

Getting regular oil changes are important to maintaining your automobile's engine. Here is advice as suggested by the ThriftyFun community. Do you have any tips for saving money on oil changes? Feel free to post them below.

Adding oil to a car engine.

Look For Coupons And Find A Reliable Mechanic

We look for coupons and hubby goes to this one place that is not expensive and gets the car washed too. Sometimes we go to our garage man, we found one we like that is not expensive and he is good. Try to find one garage that you like and take the car there all the time (like for major and inspection and trust me he will know your car inside and out and will not rip you off. Sometimes we go to Wal-mart if not too busy, but only sometimes. We know a tire place too that is good.

By Barbara

Oil Change Places Are Cheaper Than DIY

You can usually find coupons in your local paper and the big coupon section in the Sunday paper. ValPac has oil change coupons in their mailers as well. For years, my husband has faithfully changed the oil in our vehicles and those of our children. But even buying oil by the case, he can't do the job for less than Jiffy Lube or one of the others. These places get their supplies by the truck load so there is no way for individuals to get a better price. Look for the cost to be higher on larger vehicles (i.e. trucks, SUV's). Get a price before they start and make sure they understand exactly what you want done. Some places will use your brand of oil if you bring it with you, so call ahead and ask.

By browneyedgirl72561

Change Your Own Oil For Cheaper

Changing your oil is a very simple task. I change my own oil. All that is needed is the recommended oil for your particular vehicle, a 7/16 inch or 9/16 inch wrench to fit the plug in the oil pan and a oil filter wrench. I buy my oil when it is on sale so that I have it when the oil needs to be changed. I can usually change my oil for less than $10 (this includes the cost of the oil and filter), which is a lot less than what the garages or oil changing places charge.

By oneeyebrat

Bring Your Own Synthetic Oil

My husband has started using synthetic oil in our vehicles, which is quite a bit more expensive than the regular oil. The places that change oil, charge a much higher amount for synthetic oil--quite a bit more than he can buy it for at WalMart or someplace else on sale. He has started buying a 5-qt. container of his favorite brand of synthetic oil whenever we need an oil change, and he takes it to the garage when he has the oil change done. This not only assures him that his oil of choice is being used, it also saves quite a bit of money each time. He's taken his own oil to two different garages, and both have been willing to use his oil and charge only for the labor.

By Sharon

Follow Your Owner's Manual For Oil Change Guidelines

Most vehicles do not need their oil changed every 3,000 miles as your mechanic advises. Check your manual. Most can go 5,000 and some even 7,000. Other vehicles will even monitor themselves tell you when it's time.

By Lynn Beth

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

I change my own oil in all my cars. I can get the better oil for the same price as someone else using the cheap oil. In the long run it saves me money on repairs to my cars, and I get better gas mileage.

At this place we use here in Ohio. They give a card and for every 6 or 7 oil changes you get a free one. It does come in very handy when we have 2 cars in our household.

Do it yourself.

Synthetic oil is great and lasts longer than regular oil. Some people have been ripped off by those fast oil change places. A dealership or Wal-Mart center is best if you can't do it yourself. Be sure and have your transmission fluid and brake fluid checked too from time to time.

Quart of Oil, Rag and Funnel
Saving Money on Oil Changes
Consumer Advice Cars MaintenanceAugust 1, 2008
Storing Olive Oil
Storing Olive Oil
Disposing of Used Motor Oil, Used Motor Oil in a Gallon Jug
Disposing of Used Motor Oil
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway