Homemade Fabric Freshener (Febreze)

contest winner icon

I have two dogs, three children, and a husband and sometimes in our muggy maritime weather our home can get a little musty smelling. Febreze does not cut it. I find that it will freshen but the smell only lasts a few hours and with our very humid environment, Febreze does not dry. So I came up with this great home-made Febreze. It really works. I use it in my vehicles as well. All you need are some few simple products that you should already have in your home.

• 1 part baking soda*
  • 1 part fabric softener (Gain has a great smell)
  • 2 parts warm water

Mix those three ingredients and there you go, your own home-made Febreze. The fresh smell lasts a long time, plus it is a bit of a money saver on your wallet, especially with three kids and two dogs. Enjoy!

About The Author: *Editor's Note: It has been recommended to use less baking soda than this recipe calls for. It should be fairly dilute to be used in a spray bottle.

I tried this because I was VERY excited about this idea. I have Gain fabric softener so I was ready to try this right after reading. I made up the concoction in the exact percentages you indicated, however it totally clogged every spray nozzle in every spray bottle I tried, including the old Fabreeze bottle. I was also wondering, doesn't it stain the items it lands on? I loved your idea but it was a no-go for me.

It is better to dissolve the baking soda in the water first. You can do this by warming up the water while stirring in the baking soda until the water becomes clear again. Adding Isopropyl alcohol can lead to inhalation which has been determined to cause CNS depressant and pulmonary injuries according to the MSDS data. I would try ethanol alcohol instead, or to be safer, use vinegar.

I have a question, do you have to use it right away while water is warm in the mixture? It sounds like a dumb question but I just had to ask. Other than that, I think your generic Febreeze is super!

What are the exact measurement so I can do this?

Can I use baking powder (diluted in water) instead of baking soda?

No. They are not interchangeable.

I realize all the comments are old but I just wanted to add my experience because this may help others. My baking soda did not dissolve, and I used hot water. I sprayed and everything looked fine at first. However, as it started to dry, I noticed there were white spots all over. If you can find a way to dissolve the baking soda in the water first (just shaking the bottle vigorously does NOT work), then try that. I even tried diluting the solution with no luck (I halved the solution, then added more water and fabric softener).

I finally diluted it WAY down (no measurements here), added a bit of vinegar, let it do it's fizzy thing for a while, then added a lot more hot water and a little bit more fabric softener. I sprayed, and so far there is no residue.

In summary, if you can dissolve the baking soda, then make sure you do that first. However, I think it would be easier to try much smaller amounts of baking soda. 1 part baking soda ends up being a lot--that's a whole fourth of the total solution. I am a little worried about the fabric softener leaving a residue to the touch if not sight, but we shall see. It smells great and I love the price!

Additionally, using fabric softener, you have a lot more choices in scents--at my local store, there are only 3 or 4 febreze scents carried at any one time, and I usually don't care for any of them.

Did anyone try boiling the 2 parts water and the baking soda till the water is clear then add the fabric softener. Let cool and use?

The same thing happened to me. The baking soda did not dissolve and the sprayer on the bottle got totally clogged. Also, the b. soda left a residue of white dust on my furniture. I threw out the entire concoction. My daughter has a recipe using vinegar instead. I'll post it when I get it from her.

Fabric softener is not the best to use, can be offensive

How much do you mean by 'part'?

Tablespoon, cup???

Generic Blue Spray Bottle
Homemade Febreze Recipes (Fabric Freshener)
Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply Recipes Laundry RecipesJune 21, 2010
Stack of Fabric Remnants
Crafts Using Fabric Remnants
Perfume as Air Freshener
Using Perfume as Air Freshener
Box of baking soda which can be used to make homemade carpet fresheners.
Homemade Carpet Freshener Recipes