Extending the Life of Your Washing Machine

To extend the life of your washing machine and have less maintenance on it, set the machine to the longest and hottest wash cycle. Do not add any clothes or detergent. Instead, pour an entire gallon of white vinegar into the tub at the beginning and allow the machine to go through its entire cycle. If you do this routinely, you will extend the life of your washing machine because vinegar removes scum and hard-water buildup.

By Bobbie from Rockwall, TX

So, if vinegar is used in every rinse cycle as part of a home-made fabric sofenter, would it have the same result? Esp. if you also use home-made, non-sudsing soap?

Yes, thats what I do here. We have very hard water and *knock wood*, no build up in the washer.

I use a vinegar rinse in 90% of my laundry loads. (front loader) It definitely helps to keep the machine cleaner and it also rinses any leftover detergent out of your clothes as opposed to using fabric softener which just adds more chemicals/yuck to what you wear.

yes! Mine is cleaner than it was when we bought it (used)

I have heard this tip previously but have never used it. I will have to put it on my to-do list for tomorrow. I was wondering if a cycle through the dishwasher using vinegar only would clean it as well??? I get so many good ideas from this site. Thanks.

Editor's Note: I'm sure it would help.

Set a small bowl of vinegar on the top shelf of your dishwasher. Run the machine through a normal cycle.

The vinegar does clean the dishwasher and helps a lot!

thank you I am going to do this tonight. I do my

laundry at night , off peak hours!

WOW! MERCI BEAU COUP.

Okay--it sounds like a great tip, but I'm wondering if the vinegar smell stays? Do you have to do another cycle with no clothes to get rid of the smell?

Thanks!

Glowgirl

GlowGirl -- nope the smell of vinegar will be gone as soon as it dries! Many here love vinegar for it's cleaning properties and for me the only downside is that my house smells like pickles as I'm cleaning, but it's worth it to not have to use harsh, dangerous chemicals around my kids!

Welcome to ThriftyFun!

Rebekah

I was told that by an appliance repairman that vinegar and bleach will dry out seals in the washer!If you don't want to use vinegar, ammonia or bleach (be very careful not to mix them) there is a cleaner called purewasher that is only sold at smellywasher.com / This cleaner will clean inside your washer and remove mildew or musty smell from towels and clothes. All you'll need is one tablespoon. There is a money back guarantee on it, too!

Try using the bicarb/vinegar solution. This can help to prevent the machine waste pipes clogging up.

Timonty from

http://www.washingmachineadvisor.com

May 17, 2013 Flag

My new washing machine maintenance advises not to use cold water and to clean the machine once every month. If I do use cold water will that shorten the life of my machine.

Thank you.

By Irmi

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have never used hot water in my machine as it only helps to set any stains, the only problem is when you use

Washing powder as it clogs up the machine, liquid is much better. Using hot or cold water shouldn't make any difference to life of machine.

Is the cold water prohibition only for when you are doing the monthly cleaning? That would make sense-only hottest water is going to clean and (possibly, depends on how hot your machine gets the hot water) sanitise the drum and all the parts exposed to soap, sand, grit, etc.

I have a front load machine that heats its own water, goes up to 90C (194F) which is just below the boiling point. My machine user guide says to run an empty load on a full wash programme at the 90C temp to clear all the soap residue and to sanitise the drum, door, etc. Works a treat, my machine is about 8 years old and still running great.

When I lived in the States I had a top-load washer, the owner's manual also recommended that once-a-month hottest temp clean.

I think the worry you have about shortening your machine lifespan is valid. Not getting all the residue out of your machine will shorten its life.

Another good maintenance tip is to check the inlet filter (usually a small mesh screen in the hose connector. You'd be amazed at what I used to find in there once a month, wow! Sand, soap scum, leaf bits...all kinds of little things that will block the water flow.

I've never heard of a manufacturer requiring the use of cold water. I wonder if you misunderstood.

Washing Machine
Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryApril 24, 2006
A load of red dyed clothing in a front loader washing machine.
Dyeing Clothing in the Washing Machine
Man Repairing a Washing Machine
Repairing a Washing Machine
Washing Machine
Washing Machine Moves During Spin Cycle
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
🎉
🎄