Rates for Cleaning a Home for Sale

Category Business
Man in an apron with a bucket of cleaning supplies.
Cleaning a home that is for sale can be easier work because it is unoccupied. However, it can often take just as long because more square footage is exposed. This is a guide about rates for cleaning a home for sale.

I have been cleaning a client's house for more that a year, this was a 3600 sq ft house, 4 1/2 baths, 4 bedrooms, plus 3 loads of laundry for $100 once a week. This is a messy house, clothes on the floor, sparkles, games, cards, toys, etc. everywhere. Now they are moving to a bigger house that is 4300 sq ft. How much should I charge? I live in Southern California and the house is within 16 miles from my home. In fact I was thinking either to quit or to raise my rate since, seriously, this is a messy house. Now they are going to go bigger. I don't want to think how the house is going to be every time I go so I want to adjust my rate and not to be underpaid. A million thanks for your advice!

Best Answer

Do some research and find out what the per sq. ft. price is for that area of the state, and then let them know that you will be charging per sq. ft. for the new home.

If the per sq ft price in your area is say .11 per sq. ft. then offer to clean for .09 per sq. ft. You will still be making a fair wage compared to what they have been paying you. If they do not agree... give your notice!

You have been seriously underpaid just cleaning the 3600 sq ft home. If they can afford a huge house then they can afford to pay a fair price to have it cleaned! That's the bottom line!

What is a fair price for detail cleaning including windows for a 1900 square foot single story home? It is going to be listed for sale soon.

Best Answer

It really depends on the hourly rate for cleaning in your area. In my area the hourly rate is $30, in other areas of the state it is $10 an hour. It also depends on how clean the house is (or isn't). Cleaning for a 1900 sq. ft. house that is well kept up would be 3 to 4 hours. Since there are so many unknowns it is hard to give a bid. Perhaps your client would agree to an hourly rate. That would be easiest. If the house is very dirty is will take you double the usual number of hours, at least.

What should I charge for a one time, open house sale, cleaning? There is no furniture. The house is 3 bedrooms, 2 and 1/2 baths, living room, dining room, kitchen, rec room, and has a basement with washer and dryer, on concrete floor. I would also need to give the garage a sweep. Thanks for any advice.

By Wizard

Best Answer

I'm a retired cleaning lady. It should take you at least 5 hours and more likely 7. Decide what your hourly rate will be (I charged $25 an hour) and let the person know that you will tell them how long it took when you have finished. It is very hard to determine how much time will be required in advance.

What would I charge to clean a 2200 sq ft home that has just been remodeled and is being put on the market for sale?

the fair market price is $25 to $45 an hour, depending on where you live and the level of cleaning. So figure out how long it would take you and proceed from there.

In my area they charge $90 - $110.