Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Rates for Cleaning a Home for Sale

Cleaning a home that is for sale can be easier work because it is unoccupied. However, it can often take just as long because more square footage is exposed. This is a guide about rates for cleaning a home for sale.

May 16, 2016 Flag

I have been cleaning a client's house for more that a year, this was a 3600 sq ft house, 4 1/2 baths, 4 bedrooms, plus 3 loads of laundry for $100 once a week. This is a messy house, clothes on the floor, sparkles, games, cards, toys, etc. everywhere. Now they are moving to a bigger house that is 4300 sq ft. How much should I charge? I live in Southern California and the house is within 16 miles from my home. In fact I was thinking either to quit or to raise my rate since, seriously, this is a messy house. Now they are going to go bigger. I don't want to think how the house is going to be every time I go so I want to adjust my rate and not to be underpaid. A million thanks for your advice!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Do some research and find out what the per sq. ft. price is for that area of the state, and then let them know that you will be charging per sq. ft. for the new home.

If the per sq ft price in your area is say .11 per sq. ft. then offer to clean for .09 per sq. ft. You will still be making a fair wage compared to what they have been paying you. If they do not agree... give your notice!

You have been seriously underpaid just cleaning the 3600 sq ft home. If they can afford a huge house then they can afford to pay a fair price to have it cleaned! That's the bottom line!

Well, Just You, up here in Canada, we consider ourselves lucky to find someone for $35 / hour. Leah, my cleaning lady, brings her own cleaning supplies but uses my vacuum (saves her hauling hers around). I live alone, have 2 bathrooms, three bedrooms, about 1500 square feet and am reasonably tidy (I don't leave stuff lying around and do the dishes myself). Leah does not wash my clothes. She works quickly and is usually done in two and a half hours. And because she has other clients in my area she doesn't charge me for travelling time (which I think would be fair if she came a long way for just my house).

How long did it take you to clean their older, smaller place? If 8 hours, you were earning $12.50 per hour: you can do the math. Working at the same speed it'll probably take you 10 hours to do the newer, bigger place so of course you should charge more.

Raising your hourly rate is of course an option as is asking to be paid for travelling time and expenses (gas or public transit).

Good luck!

I clean a house like that every other week week and charge 175 but the house isn't messy at all. If your feelings like your getting screwed after your done cleaning it's because you are. and I don't do laundry. Don't be afraid to raise the rate. People get to comfortable and start to take advantage .

what do I charge for a move out 4 bedroom 3 bath home with junk removal included

What should I charge for a empty house just sold three bed rooms living room two full baths dining room kitchen large garage

I clean a 2000sq ft home one day per week, 3 bed, 2 bath, and it takes me (now) only 2.5-3 hrs (at first took 4hrs) . They usually have the place pretty clean anyway so I mop, dust, occasional window, sanitize bathrooms, and once is a blue moon change one bed. I never do laundry. I'm about to take one that is 5000sq ft (2 times per mo) and will be expecting payment for 6 hours of work because the owner is a bit on the OCD side and will expect perfection

June 2, 2015 Flag

What is a fair price for detail cleaning including windows for a 1900 square foot single story home? It is going to be listed for sale soon.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

It really depends on the hourly rate for cleaning in your area. In my area the hourly rate is $30, in other areas of the state it is $10 an hour. It also depends on how clean the house is (or isn't). Cleaning for a 1900 sq. ft. house that is well kept up would be 3 to 4 hours. Since there are so many unknowns it is hard to give a bid. Perhaps your client would agree to an hourly rate. That would be easiest. If the house is very dirty is will take you double the usual number of hours, at least.

June 4, 2016 Flag

What would I charge to clean a 2200 sq ft home that has just been remodeled and is being put on the market for sale?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

the fair market price is $25 to $45 an hour, depending on where you live and the level of cleaning. So figure out how long it would take you and proceed from there.

In my area they charge $90 - $110.

April 17, 2012 Flag

What should I charge for a one time, open house sale, cleaning? There is no furniture. The house is 3 bedrooms, 2 and 1/2 baths, living room, dining room, kitchen, rec room, and has a basement with washer and dryer, on concrete floor. I would also need to give the garage a sweep. Thanks for any advice.

By Wizard

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I'm a retired cleaning lady. It should take you at least 5 hours and more likely 7. Decide what your hourly rate will be (I charged $25 an hour) and let the person know that you will tell them how long it took when you have finished. It is very hard to determine how much time will be required in advance.

A professional cleaner with his cleaning supplies.
Setting Rates for Cleaning Services
Business and Legal BusinessJanuary 10, 2017
weighing postage
Finding Postage Rates Online
Furniture Being Sold at Estate Sale
Having an Estate Sale
Inside of Empty new home.
Rates for Cleaning New Construction Homes
garage sale
Preparing for a Garage Sale
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 14, 2017 at 8:21:39 AM on 10.0.0.149 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.