Boxes For Storing and Organizing Patterns

I keep my sewing pattern envelopes in page protectors, in a binder. I keep my pattern innards in quart sized ZipLoc storage bags. I am looking for boxes (with tops) 10 in. high x 7 in. wide x 24-26 in. long to store a couple hundred patterns numerically. Plastic sounds best, but cardboard has lasted me for years. I just need to replace them.

Charlene from Canton, MI

I use clear rubbermaid totes for mine. Since they are plastic, I don't have to worry about moisture getting in, or a mouse chewing its way through.

However I have been keeping my eye on stores who go out of business looking for one of the regular systems. I almost got one at an auction once, but got outbid.

Girl Scout cookie boxes are the perfect size to store patterns. Cheaper than plastic totes and you are recycling. They can be covered with contact paper.

The Girl Scouts sell cookies in the Spring in our area at all the local stores and I am sure they would be glad to get rid of their boxes. I have been using mine since my daughter was in scouts 20 years ago.

Here's what I do.

I keep some patterns in a ziplock bag, too, and simply punch holes in them and slip them in a binder, too.

You can also hook them to a hanger with those black strong binder clips and keep them up away from little critter who love to nibble.

However, if they are patterns you use often, your best bet is to trace them around 3/1.00 poster board, mark them with markers as to folds, pattern number, piece number, etc. Then, you can donate those patterns to a thrift shop and have pieces that are easier to see and work with.

I make vests and sell them, and have found that these big pieces are much easier to work with.

Shoe boxes of all sizes make great storage containers. If you like things to look nice they can be painted or covered with contact paper. I also use baskets and tins from garage sales and thrift stores.

Patterns in manila files with envelop in plastic bag taped to outside.
Storing Sewing Patterns
Organizing CraftsSeptember 5, 2008
Storing Plastic Wrap, Foil and Wax Paper Boxes
Making a Cigar Box Purse
Making a Cigar Box Purse
Cigars in a Box
Craft Ideas for Cigar Boxes
Cigars in a Box
Uses for Cigar Boxes