Insulate Tube on CPAP Machine

Sleep apnea is a dangerous condition. It's linked to heart failure and a myriad of other health problems. I have been diagnosed for about 2 years now and am using a CPAP machine. It took a while to get used to it, but now I can't sleep without it and have experienced many benefits.

One problem I experienced in the first few days was something called "rain out". It is condensation that accumulates in the mask and is often released traveling down the nose and throat. I was awakened many times choking and gagging from this unpleasant occurrence. I have found a "sleeve" at a local oxygen/medical supply store. I taped it to the top and bottom of the hose.

As "rain out" is usually caused by the room being cool (which I prefer), the hose needs to be insulated. I also put as much of the hose as I can under the blankets with me to keep it warm. This has solved the problem. Please take sleep apnea seriously. If you aren't sleeping well you should be tested. If you have a CPAP machine please use it. God Bless.

By Granny2889 from near Charlotte NC

I too have a CPAP machine and have had it for 5 years. It is important to address this illness. I too had a time getting use to the machine unlike my husband who put it on and went to sleep the first night. Apnea is serious and one should not ignore it.

Thanks for the tip I will check out the sleeve at my medical supply. I have this situation happen once in a while but not often. Thanks for bringing awareness to sleep apnea.

Is this sleeve designed especially for the machine? Or is it something you found that would work for it?

I have had the same problem with my Cpap machine! When the water condenses in the hose it also makes very loud noises when air blows through it. I like to keep my room very cool, this is has been a big problem for me in the winter especially. Excellent tips!

Melsey in SC

Do you use a humidifier? My husband has sleep apea, he has never used the humidifier with his machine. I don't know why, he just never did. ( He has used a CPAP for close to 10 years now.) I know what you mean about a cold room. :-) He says it really helps him keeping our room super cool.

We had no idea that sleep apnea could cause so many problems. Before he was diagnosed his legs hurt him all the time, his muscles ached, he just felt horrible. After he was diagnosed and got his machine, he felt like a new man.

Some newer models now come with a heated tube. First week into using my CPAP and even though I turn the heat off in the bedroom on the cold New England winter nights. The only condensation I experience is in the nasal mask itself which I can adjust by tweeking the humidifier settings.