Cleaning the Bathtub with Baking Soda

I heard that you can use baking soda to clean out your bathtub. I was wondering how much baking soda would I need to use to clean it out? Thanks.

By Krystal from Kenora, Ontario

Moderate Instructions:

Step 1) You will first need baking soda, a cloth, toothbrush or a sponge.

Step 2) Make a paste in a small bowl. Use baking soda and water. You want this to be thick, but easy to spread.

Step 3) Take the sponge and dip it into the mixture. Clean your tub or shower as usual. For tough stains, spread a small amount of the mixture on it and let sit for about 10 minutes. Then clean with a towel that has been soaked in vinegar. The vinegar will activate the baking soda, and help remove the stain.

Step 4) Use the toothbrush for the grout. Just dip the toothbrush into the mixture and scrub. You may want to let it sit for a few minutes to help with the stains.

I keep a container of baking soda in my bathroom (in a cheese shaker) and I use the cheapest shampoo I can find (usually a gallon jug from Sally's Beauty Supply). I just sprinkle the soda (doesn't take much - your judgement) in the bottom of the tub and pour a dollop of shampoo and scrub with the wash cloth I just bathed/showered with - using my feet! I also use this "recipe" on my sinks!

If you don't want to use body parts to clean just get an old broom and use it to scrub all surfaces; rinse it and let it dry in the tub! Easy and clean and refreshing to your room!

Make a soft scrub paste of baking soda mixed with enough dish soap to form a good paste. Works wonders in the tub, toilet, sink and in the kitchen too. I've cleaned baked on grease from frying with this paste and some salt added.

Remember if the soda and soap paste isn't quite getting something clean - add some salt and continue scrubbing.

Woman's hand holding blue cloth cleaning the tub spout.
Cleaning the Bathtub
Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomMarch 1, 2010
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Photo of decals stuck to the bottom of a bathtub.
Removing Bathtub Decals
A bathtub.
Cleaning a Textured Bathtub Floor
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
🎉
🎄