Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Organizing Your Upright Freezer

Ideas for organizing an upright freezer. Post your ideas.

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Shawn (Guest Post)05/16/2007

I find the best way to organize my upright freezer is using seal a meal and line them up like a bookshelf when it comes to leftovers. Labeling them on the side makes it easy to read.. Just one shelf for leftovers , one shelf for older items and one shelf for newer bought items.. Works for me but then there are only 2 of us..

By lmr5140 (Guest Post)07/03/2005

A variation is to use shaker-style (or other sturdy weave and design) baskets - I put fruit in these, and it adds a quaint, eye-pleasing touch to the inside of the fridge.

By Beth (Guest Post)06/06/2005

I purchased plastic bins at the dollar store for keeping in different types of food (one for chicken, another for beef, and a third for "other"...since that is all that will fit on one shelf). I have a different shelf for different foods, which sometimes overlap a bit. (top for meats, second for veggies, third for fruits and desserts, and bottom for breads)

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel [9]06/06/2005

To eliminate second guessing on how old food is in the freezer, just write with permanent marker on the bag or use a label and the date and year when you bought it, then when you buy new items put the old ones in the front and the new stuff in the back. This way you won't forget about those items and they will be used up and not forgotten. I do this in my pantry also.

By lizluvs2cook

By laurie (Guest Post)01/28/2005

The chest freezers are sold with grilled open bins. They allow the cold air to move in and around and under the stored foods. In the frig the grills are mainly negative space , again for the same reason. In an upright the shelves are grilled. Its best to use baskets with a lot of spaces rather than dish pans or pasteboard boxes. It will cost you less to run the machine, its easier on it. My Dad was in refrigeration business.

By R (Guest Post)01/23/2005

I use the shelf helpers and this allows me to more shelf space.

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel [9]01/23/2005

It can be challenging to use all the space in an upright freezer. I use inexpensive rectangular plastic dishpans as bins in order to get more on each shelf. I label the dishpans vegetables, meats, etc. This also works well in refrigerator freezers. When I am looking for something, I can pull out the entire container and go through it without having bunches of frozen foods falling out and bouncing off my toes.

By Lynn