Making a Vacuum Cleaner Cover

You don't have to hide the vacuum away in a closet if you make a decorative, maybe even whimsical, cover. This is a guide about making a vacuum cleaner cover.

July 18, 2005 Flag
Kim Davis1 found this helpful

Are you someone that just doesn't have a good place to store your vacuum cleaner? You end up standing it in the corner, but hate seeing it there. I have the solution for you. Make a cute cover and no one will realize it's your vacuum cleaner. Even if you do have a closet to stick it in, this cover will keep off the dust.

You can use a variety of materials. You can use things you have or purchase material to make them. I usually shop the thrift store for items such as these.

1. First make the head. The easiest way to approach this would be to have the head from a large old rag doll and then your job is simplified. But if you can't find one to use then make one.
  2. Cut two seven inch circles of material for the face. Paint a face on one of them. Let the paint dry.
  3. Put the material right sides together. Stitch 1/4 inch from the edge leaving a 1 1/2 inch opening on the top of the head. Turn the material right side out. Stuff the head. Stitch the opening shut. Attach yarn around the face for hair.
  4. Then make the cap. If you are using an old shower cap just sew lace trim around the edges. If not, cut one circle 8 inches in diameter. Sew lace around the edges. Use a baste stitch around the inside edge. Use one basting thread to gather the cap. Attach the cap to the head.
  5. Ad

6. Attach the neck of the dress or top to the bottom edge of the head. If you are using a top and skirt you will need to sew them together at the waist before proceeding.
  7. Stuff the gloves and sew them to the ends of the sleeves. If you are not using gloves, you need to make hands.
  8. Stuff the sleeves. Add stuffing to the shoulders and chest and back of the top. Attach it with basting stitches or hot glue. Leave enough room for the vacuum handle to fit into this area. The skirt area does not need to be stuffed.
  9. Fit the doll over the vacuum cleaner and put on the apron. Hand-stitch the apron in place. You can attach a dust cloth or scrubby to one hand as was done for this photo.

Just lift the cover by the head to remove it when you need to use your vacuum. Slip it back over the vacuum to store it. Now you can tell everyone you have a maid!

By Kim

Have been thinking about doing that, but did not know where to start. Thanks for the directions! Have seen them for about $20.00 but not want to spend that if cam make it. will go to thrift stores and start to get things so can make this a winter projest Thanks again

Hi. You're right! My v.c. is UUUGLY! So, Making a doll is a great idea! Please answer my questions. 1. Does the vacuum cleaner handle go up inside the doll's head, or does the head go in front of the handle? Or, does the handle go up inside the neck? 2. Will the head remain upright without falling over? 3.Did you embroider the face, or did you paint the face on the fabric? 4. Did you make a body, legs, and shoes for the doll?

I may even make a different outfit for each month! I suppose that inside of me, there is a little girl who still likes to play with dolls! I don't have any daughters or grand daughters, so I just might have some fun with this! What do you think about that?

Thanks so much for your help. Darlene Davis

March 8, 2010 Flag

We live in a small apartment and really have no place to put away our vacuum cleaner. I know that they used to sell vacuum cleaner covers that looked like dolls or bunnies in long skirts, but I'm looking for a pattern to make one more modern looking.

By Tru

I like Ginnywest's suggestion. Make a cover that blends in to the surroundings. If you have draperies, a cover the same color as the drapes would be good. Just place the vacuum next to or behind the drapes. Dolls or bunny designs just call attention to the vacuum.

I was thinking you could make a basic frame. It could be from wood if you are so inclined or pipe or pvc pipe. Just a box shape like the deer guard in the top row here:

Make it the height ( & width) of your vac.

Then make a fabric cover. I have seen them in mags but this is the closest pic example I could find right now. It can be one piece or two piece that overlap each direction like a " + ". They usually have either fabric ties or ribbons on the side so the flaps stay closed. (this pic has the ties elsewhere for rolling up.)

You could even put a solid piece of wood or something on the top to create a shelf to put a vase or frame or something.

The other alternative would be to put it in a corner and cover it up with a folding screen/room divider of some sort. ... -easy-projects/easy-folding-screens/ ... //

I use a king size pillowcase on my vac. Open the stitching a few inches on the end and slip it down over the handle. This keeps the vac dust free and looks pretty. You can get the pillowcases at thrift stores or buy one new.

These are great ideas. I wasn't really up for the doll or bunny idea, but that was all I had seen. Now all I need to do is find a couple of pillow cases in a creamy off-white color. :)

Crafts SewingApril 13, 2013
Water on Deck
Homemade Deck Cleaner Recipes
Old Vacuum Cleaner and Hose
Repairing a Torn Vacuum Cleaner Hose
Red Vacuum Cleaner
Choosing a Good Vacuum Cleaner
Upclose photo of beige carpet.
Cleaning Carpets Without a Vacuum