Making a Vacuum Cleaner Cover

You don't have to hide the vacuum away in a closet if you make a decorative, maybe even whimsical, cover. This is a guide about making a vacuum cleaner cover.

Vacuum Cleaner Cover
Filter Sort

Vacuum Cleaner Cover

Kim Davis

vacuum cleaner cover designed to look like a maidAre you someone that just doesn't have a good place to store your vacuum cleaner? You end up standing it in the corner, but hate seeing it there. I have the solution for you. Make a cute cover and no one will realize it's your vacuum cleaner. Even if you do have a closet to stick it in, this cover will keep off the dust.

Materials

You can use a variety of materials. You can use things you have or purchase material to make them. I usually shop the thrift store for items such as these.

• child's long sleeved long dress or matching top and long skirt (or even a child's Halloween maid costume)
    The dress or top and skirt needs to measure about 40 inched from shoulder to hem. Check the measurements of your vacuum to be sure. You can add a complementary material to hem to increase the length if needed.
  • polyester or other fiberfill stuffing
  • flesh colored material enough for two 7 inch circles (or even an old large rag doll head would work)
  • yarn for hair
  • a pair of white child's gloves or material to make to mitten shaped hands
  • fabric paint
  • thread
  • white apron or material to make apron
  • old white shower cap
  • 2 inch eyelet lace trim

Directions

1. First make the head. The easiest way to approach this would be to have the head from a large old rag doll and then your job is simplified. But if you can't find one to use then make one.
  2. Cut two seven inch circles of material for the face. Paint a face on one of them. Let the paint dry.
  3. Put the material right sides together. Stitch 1/4 inch from the edge leaving a 1 1/2 inch opening on the top of the head. Turn the material right side out. Stuff the head. Stitch the opening shut. Attach yarn around the face for hair.
  4. Then make the cap. If you are using an old shower cap just sew lace trim around the edges. If not, cut one circle 8 inches in diameter. Sew lace around the edges. Use a baste stitch around the inside edge. Use one basting thread to gather the cap. Attach the cap to the head.
  5. Attach the neck of the dress or top to the bottom edge of the head. If you are using a top and skirt you will need to sew them together at the waist before proceeding.
  6. Stuff the gloves and sew them to the ends of the sleeves. If you are not using gloves, you need to make hands.
  7. Stuff the sleeves. Add stuffing to the shoulders and chest and back of the top. Attach it with basting stitches or hot glue. Leave enough room for the vacuum handle to fit into this area. The skirt area does not need to be stuffed.
  8. Fit the doll over the vacuum cleaner and put on the apron. Hand-stitch the apron in place. You can attach a dust cloth or scrubby to one hand as was done for this photo.

Just lift the cover by the head to remove it when you need to use your vacuum. Slip it back over the vacuum to store it. Now you can tell everyone you have a maid!

By Kim

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Making a Vacuum Cleaner Cover

By tru 5 4

We live in a small apartment and really have no place to put away our vacuum cleaner. I know that they used to sell vacuum cleaner covers that looked like dolls or bunnies in long skirts, but I'm looking for a pattern to make one more modern looking.

By Tru

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Candy Eve 2 Flag

I crocheted a vacuum cleaner cover, a lady of bright colors, many years ago. I wasn't very good at crocheting and embroidering faces, and it came out incredibly ugly. The face had big bulgy eyes. But it fit the vacuum so well. It took me months to do, and I did not know how to rip things out and fix, so I left it. It stood boldly in my living room. When someone came in they saw it first thing. If they commented on just how ugly it was, the next holiday, they got a gift. I wrapped her up and gave it to the commenter.

The next holiday, I got a gift back from them, in a new box...and inside was always the same lady vacuum cleaner cover! No one would keep her! This went on for three years, I gave it away at the first nasty remark, and I got it back again, over three times, to different people!! It was truly funny!! I bet none of my recipients ever made a nasty comment about something in a person's house again. Needless to say, there is no pattern, and I doubt anyone would copy it. Oh, yeah, 40 years later, I still have the darn thing!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Crafts SewingApril 13, 2013
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Water on Deck
Homemade Deck Cleaner Recipes
Old Vacuum Cleaner and Hose
Repairing a Torn Vacuum Cleaner Hose
Red Vacuum Cleaner
Choosing a Good Vacuum Cleaner
Upclose photo of beige carpet.
Cleaning Carpets Without a Vacuum
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 10:42:33 AM on 10.0.1.182 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings