Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Homemade Hair Gel

To make a homemade hair gel, dissolve 1 tsp. plain gelatin in warm water. Mix it very well, then keep it in the refrigerator in a small closed container. To use, smear it in your hair. It is pure protein and washes out easily.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By VBartlett [12]04/06/2012

I do this! I use about 1 1/2 teaspoons plain gelatin in 1/2 cup of water; that makes a pretty strong gel. Sprinkle the gelatin on the cold water; let it sit a minute. Then, microwave (less than a minute), until it starts to boil. Watch carefully, since it will bubble up out of the container.

I add about 6-8 drops of tea tree oil (as a preservative), and keep it in the refrigerator in a squeeze bottle with a nozzle top. I microwave it 15-23 seconds, depending on how much is in the bottle, then, squeeze some in my hands and work through my hair. You'll need to experiment with how much is right for your hair. Love this stuff!

By Lelia Jo Cordell [49]03/24/2011

Hmm... I hadn't noticed Fossil hadn't said how much water. I can only guess, a cup? In any case, since the gelatin is "pure protein," it would be way better for your hair than anything on the market except maybe Mane and Tail.

By Diane Abbruzzese [1]03/23/2011

How much water do you use?

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.