Soak Off Jar Labels

In my quest to reclaim a Mason jar (specifically Classico pasta sauce jars) I needed to soak off the labels. I submerged the jars in hot water and let them sit until the paper was easy to pull off. The best part with the Classico jars is that the glue they use is also water soluble! So I was able to remove the glue with hot soapy water. With other jar, I removed the glue with Goo Gone and a paper towel. I was amazed at how well this worked!

By Laurel from Port Orchard, WA

Top Comment

I love vinegar and use it for everything, I have a spray bottle full. To remove a label, I simply wet the label good then I spray with vinegar. Let it sit for a few minutes. Remove the label, then respray the glue with vinegar and wipe.

I just put mine in the dishwasher and remove the labels right before dry cycle. I air dry to save energy and keep kitchen cool.

Rather than using Goo Gone to remove non-water-based glue (and labels), I use plain paint thinner or mineral spirits. The thinner will soak through labels; cover them with a thinner-soaked pad of paper towel. Cheaper and highly effective, and I keep paint thinner on hand for other purposes anyway. The thinner residue washes off with soapy water.

Steam from a steam clothes iron works fast to remove labels, even from Ziploc baggies. The trick is to get them hot enough to come loose, before the paper gets too weak.

The warm water and soap works well for getting the label off. Some labels just peel right off without the water--but then I have problems with residual glue (such as with this jar (it still had the candle in it at the time).

To remove tomato sauce stains and spicy odors from lid tops; I first wash with soap, rinse, then add a small amount of Clorox bleach, enough to cover the stain, let soak till the stain is gone. And depending on the sauce, sometimes, it can take up to 24 hours plus to remove the stain.

I put a thin layer of peanut butter over the part of the label that is still there after you peel what you can off. I leave it overnight and the next morning it wipes off down to the glass. This works on plastic containers as well as glass.

Spaghetti Sauce Jar with Torn Label
Removing Labels from Glass Jars
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceApril 13, 2012
A pink piggy bank made from a plastic mayo bottle.
Mayonnaise Jar Piggy Bank
beaded lid
Crafts Using Jar Lids
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 9:22:30 AM on 10.0.0.173 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.