Charging Roommates to Use My Washer and Dryer

How much should I charge for people to use my washer and dryer. It is a situation where roommates aren't paying for things and so I'm putting charges up.

By mariahcolburn from Lewiston, ME

If they aren't paying now, why would they pay higher charges? You've got a problem and I don't think that is going to fix it. I'd think of how you could keep them from using the appliances unless they pay up. If they are using food without paying, lock it in a cupboard where they can't get at it. That seems harsh, but they are taking undue advantage of you.

Once you have thought what you can do, get them together and let them know why they have to pay. Let them know if it doesn't change what will happen and do it. Maybe you could have a "kitty" where everybody adds to it to pay for the hydro and detergent etc. Be firm and follow through whatever you decide. Good luck. Be strong.

Well you couls go to Nelson and Small, located in Portland Me. and buy a new washer dryer with the coin boxes attached. if that is too expensive then why not go to a laundromat in your town and ask the owner how much it costs to wash and dry one load of laundry. In other words,does it cost 2 bucks to wash one load laundry and one buck to dry the same load.

When my adult son and a friend of his decided to move back home after they got out of the Army, we sat down and I explained to them what it cost for me to run my household and then we decided on a fair amount that they should "pay" me each week. It helped them to know why I expected them to help pay for expenses and eased what could have been a very tough financial burden on me. It worked out very well and now they both have their own homes. Maybe if you go over your bills with them and let them know just how much it takes each month, they will more willing to ante up their share of the costs.

Check the local laudromat and see what they charge for wash and dry. Check how many loads they generally run per week. Do the math, then reduce the laundromat charges by about 50% and charge them that much extra on their rent.

If you're talking about utility use (water, gas, electric) why don't you just start having them pay their share of the utilities? ie if there are three of you each pays 1/3rd. If it's wear and tear of your washer and dryer you're worried about just tell them to use a laundromat. Make sure you have a written and signed contract to protect you.

2 woman eating breakfast
Dealing With Roommates
Budget & Finance AdviceSeptember 2, 2009
New Washer and Dryer
Washer and Dryer Reviews
Photo of an angel craft made form used dryer sheets.
Making Dryer Sheet Angels
Shopping for a Washer and Dryer
When to Replace a Washer and Dryer
Windshield wiper tip on windshield
Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid