Dining OutEntertainment

Adding Less Dressing to Your Salad

While dining, be careful not to slather on too much dressing on top of your salad. We like the taste of the dressing, but not all those calories they pack onto our waistlines. Ask for your dressing on the side.

Dip your fork into the dressing and then into your salad for each bite. This way, you'll get the taste of the salad dressing along with your salad. A pal taught me this, several years ago.

Remember to do this, it works wonders, whether you're dieting or not. The same could go for ketchup for fries, and/or any other food and sauce combination. Save calories and money!

I have been bringing my salad to work in a gallon size plastic bag. At lunch time I add a tablespoon or so of my dressing and seal up the bag and shake!!! This distributes the dressing and saves the calories of too much dressing!!

Love these tips, ladies. Thanks!

Low-fat dressings are better tasting all the time and hey, here's my little tip. Pour a tablespoon of dressing into a small bowl, add a tablespoon of spiced vinegar (or even lemon juice), stir and add to salad. Nice and light-tasting, a bit spicy, delicious.

Here's my vinegar recipe, if you'd like to try it.

Chili Vinegar (a nice gift for those hard-to-buy-for people)

4 dried bay leaves

6 dried hot red chilli peppers or 3 fresh habaneros peppers, cleaned, quartered, seeds removed

4 garlic cloves, cut in half

red wine vinegar or plain white vinegar

Place bay leaves, peppers and garlic into a tall bottle (a large empty wine bottles is good). Fill the bottle with vinegar. Cork the bottle and let stand at least 3 weeks in a cool, dark place to allow the flavour to develop.

Decant into smaller bottles and provide instructions for use (as follows).

Mix with store-bought salad dressings about one-to-one. Lightens the dressing and spices it up at the same time.

Cheers,

Rose Anne