Grandma's Tried and True Recipes

To me, recipes from the 50's, 60's and 70's are best, just like Grandma use to make. Nothing fancy, just great tasting.

Recipes can be deceiving, they can sound good, but taste not so great. If you have an old tried-and-true recipe, I'd love to see it posted here, and if anyone shows any interest, I'll come back and post some myself.

By Fortunately from IL

I would love to see more recipes like that myself! I also find recipes from the depression in the 1930's can be not only frugal but nutritiouos and delcious. Maybe there could be a "Vintage Recipes" sub -category!

ICEES: This recipe was originally only for Jell-o pops, but I discovered that I could double the recipe then freeze overnight in a clean one gallon milk jug. Next morning I place it in the refrigerator and shake occasionally as it defrosts. By the time holiday guests arrive in early afternoon, I have perfect icees. Must be kept in the fridge when not in use. I serve it in small paper cups so it will go farther.

SNO-CONE SYRUP: Instead of freezing, you can store the mixture in the refrigerator and use as syrup for sno-cones.

1 pkg. Jell-o

1 pkg. unsweetened Kool-aid

1 c. sugar

3 C. boiling water

1 1/2 C. cold water

Place the Jell-o, Kool-aid and sugar in a bowl. Stir in boiling water until all ingredients are dissolved. Stir in the cold water. Pour into small containers or ice cube trays, add a popsicle stick to each one and freeze. Or you can freeze without popsicle sticks and eat with a spoon.

This has to be the world's best pepper steak recipe. I don't know how old it is, but it has been in our family for 3 generations. My family is always requesting it, I make it about every 2 weeks.

2 lb. round steak

garlic powder

1/4 C. butter

1 small onion, chopped

2 green peppers, cut in strips

1 can whole tomatoes (about 16 oz.), cut up

1 beef bouillon cube

1/4 C. water

1 teaspoon sugar

1 teaspoon salt

3 Tbsp. soy sauce

1 Tbsp. cornstarch (or 2 Tbsp. flour)

Cut the meat in 2" X 1/4" strips. Sprinkle with garlic powder and brown in the butter.

Add onion, green pepper, tomatoes and bouillon cube.

Cover and simmer 45 min.

Stir the water, sugar, salt and soy sauce together, then stir in the cornstarch.

Add this to the meat mixture, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until thick. Cook 2 min. more.

Serve over rice or mashed potatoes.

Food and Recipes Recipes Family FavoritesOctober 18, 2010
Fried Dill Pickle Chip Recipes
Little Girl Dishwashing
Saving Money On Dishwashing
Tips for Greasing Pans
Tips for Greasing Pans
Meat Loaf
Meat Loaf Tips and Tricks