Starting a Research Business

I am trying to start a research business and want to know how much you would pay someone to do research for you. The research can be anything from can you find my classmates for my upcoming reunion, to how do you make the perfect meatball.

Would you pay by the hour or by the job? If so, what rate would you find appropriate? Would you use such a service if it existed? Would you want to pay by Paypal or credit card?

Honest feedback and a brief answer of why you would or wouldn't use the service will be very much appreciated. This market research is part of my business plan that I need to submit to my mentor.

Thanks so much for your time and assistance!

By Pghgirl40 from Pittsburgh, PA

10 dollars by pay pal

No offense, but your proposed research business won't fly. People can do their own research online by themselves. Why would they pay you to find a meatball recipe or some classmates? All that info is readily available with a few mouse clicks. Good luck to you.

$10 to $20 dollars. People will pay even though we can do a lot of research ourselves, and I myself can find almost anything about anything. The reasons people will want someone else to do it are varied: poor eyesight, fear or lack of knowledge of computer, old age, arthritis/carpel tunnel,and emotional reasons. Sometimes when we are looking for something and afraid of the answers, the tension of looking is too hard to bear; hence, pay someone else. Also, if you aren't good at looking for things, it will save time. I researched the titles of medical articles to read on certain subjects for a student in her last year of med school; she had had a brain stem injury from an accident, and it hurt her eyes to read a lot, so she wanted to save the reading for the articles, not looking for them. She paid me $20 an hour.

Charge per hour or per task. Your field is too broad to charge a flat fee. A perfect recipe is easily done, five minutes or $10, but a dead beat dad or finding a replacement for a damaged antique could take months and hundreds of hours or $500. Good luck. :)

I don't think I would pay someone for any research unless it was for info on a very specific topic, maybe such as a rare health problem etc.

I wouldn't be so quick to say this idea wouldn't work. Research is exhausting and very time consuming. I even joked to my sister recently that we should hire a research assistant and split her between what we both need to have done!

Recent purchases of mine are GPS, a dishwasher, and a portable air conditioner. These days you have to search on line and then when you find a item and price you like, then you have to read reviews on the item (I do this on Amazon).

It was a very long process for my portable AC because every time I found something in my price range with the BTUs I wanted, the review on Amazon was horrible! The next step is that I do a search for a rebate and sometimes I get lucky.

I don't think it's a bad idea for a business. I wouldn't open a storefront but it's something you can start small and work on at home fitting it in when you have time. A web site is dirt cheap, too and they are easy enough to do yourself.

Remember, people will pay you for the things that they don't want to do or they don't have time to do. Believe it or not, there is a business that is booming where they come and pick up your dog poop in your backyard!

Business and Legal BusinessJune 16, 2010
beautifully designed kitchen
Starting an Interior Design Business
Business Travel Tips, Business Woman on Laptop in Airport
Business Travel Tips
A young clothing designer.
Starting a Clothing Business
Creating a Business Plan for a Small Business, A handwritten business plan on paper.
Creating a Business Plan for a Small Business
🎄
🍂