Getting Animal Feed from the Food Store

My husband and I go to the dumpsters behind the food stores and get lettuce and apples for our Emu. I cut up the apples and freeze them.

By Dolores from Tombstone, AZ

Editor's Note: Be sure to talk to the store manager to get permission. In some cases I have heard of managers setting aside unwanted produce for people.

My dog loves certain edible weeds (edible by humans as well): goosegrass, chickweed and large grasses. I let them grow for a while, then pull them and give them to her. She chomps them happily down. (I knew there had to be a use for weeds!)

http://www.countrylovers.co.uk/wildfoodjj/weedgall.htm

has a list of "edible" weeds. You should make sure what weeds in your area are edible, and also that they haven't been sprayed by pesticides.

Cantate

I think the fact that you have an emu should persuade any supermarket owners to give you food.

Really, really nice idea but please know that dumpster diving is against the law in many localities so definitely take heed of the editor's advice above and talk to the store manager first.

Sheep and Lamb on Farm
Saving Money on Livestock Feed
Better Living Frugal Living TipsMay 16, 2007
Corn
Buying Feed Corn
Metal sink drain.
Getting Rid of Drain Flies
Animal Print Heels
Wearing Animal Prints
A tuxedo cat sitting in front of his food.
How Much Should I Feed My Cat?
🎉
🎄