Dog Ate Couch Arm

My Doberman ate the arm of my Berkline wallaway couch. There are two chambers to the arm, the one closest to the back of the couch is fine. How can I repair it myself?

Leslie from Stafford, VA

I guess you could always find some matching fabric, or something that coordinates with your decor and make new arms for the sofa just cut to fit and blind stitch over the old arm adding fiberfill or foam as needed to match the other side. I would maybe cover the couch with a nice comforter or bead spread if you have to be gone or at night, just in case Fido gets a midnight couch craving he might chew that up instead of your nice couch.

Unless you are a super dooper seamstress you"ve got a mess. I think I'd call the place where you bought it and maybe they can get you in touch with the place that does their repairs. MY newly purchased couch had a loud squeek and the place where we bought it picked it up and had it repaired and returned it. The obvious difference is this cost will be on you and not the store.Maybe the dog needs to spend some time in the back yard. Good Luck.

The other posters have some good ideas on how to attempt repairing the couch arm. After that is done you could sew some 'arm covers' so no one can see the repairs.

If you don't want to take it somewhere to have it repaired and want to DIY, I'd start by checking out the fabric from the back or bottom of your sofa.

Then, remove a piece, sized to cover the hole, matching it as best you can. I'm not sure if sewing it together or using fabric glue/overlapping the edges, would give you the better result.

Don't forget to get some fiber-fill to pump up the volume of the arm.

It won't look good, but it could help cover the hole sufficiently until you're ready to replace it.

The arm should be a separate piece of fabric. E-bay should have matching material. Just look under upholstery fabric. Use a staple gun or upholstery tacks. Add them to the other end to make it look uniform. Good luck. I have 3 dogs and I get creative to fix their messes. But they are worth it.

The arm should be a separate piece of fabric. E-bay should have matching upholstery. Use a staple gun or upholstery tacks. Good luck.

I agree with the folks who say to get a re-upholstery pro. There might be enough spare fabric in a hidden area, such as the back, to be used for the covering, but let the pro do it. Meanwhile get some Bitter Apple spray at your veterinarian or pet supply store. Apply to whatever you don't want Fido to chew, such as the newly repaired area.

Doberman's love to be outside. Plus they get rickets if they don't get enough sunlight. They are the only dog that has that problem. So I think I would be looking for a dog house with an old couch in it.

Home and Garden Repair Furniture SofasNovember 24, 2008
Vintage Quilt
Repairing a Long Arm Quilting Machine
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Photo of a furniture spring isolated on white.
Repairing Couch Springs
Fabric Couch
Repairing a Broken Arm on a Fabric Couch
🎉
🎄