What is This Plant? (Althea Zebrina)

Does anyone know what kind of flower this is? I was told it is an annual, but more grew this year without me planting any seeds. Thanks for any help I can get.

By Carol from Ontario, Canada

It is a hollyhock. It must have self seeded. I have them coming up all over in my yard. I attribute these volunteers to my friendly bird gardeners.

I have never seen a holly hock with flowers that small. A few years ago I planted Violas in pots on my patio, and apparently in the fall when I was pulling them out of the pots, some of the seeds ended up along one edge of my patio, and the first summer after that I had a just a few flowers come up along the side of the patio, and every year since then the row keeps getting longer, and remarkably the lawn service that does the grass in this apartment complex doesn't cut the flowers off. This shocks me because it is basically young guys that work for the service.

My first thought was that it's some sort of pelargonium (geranium). But I don't know what kind. I've had some scented ones with similar flowers. There are so many variations in flowers and foliage. If it IS a geranium, I've had them come back from one year to the next. They don't usually survive if I leave them in a container, but the ones in the ground will come back.

Here are a couple links so you can look at pictures and compare. Best of luck figuring out what kind of plant you have!

http://geraniums.momcom.net/

http://davesgar  h.php?q=geranium

Its Zebrina Malva. be careful it can be invasive. It is slowly migrating from my yard to my neighbors, and they are not all happy about it either. I love it though, because it blooms and blooms and blooms, when it quits blooming cut it back and it will start all over again.

Looks like some type of geranium to me. It's very pretty. I'd like to have some of those myself :)

It is indeed a mallow, it's from the hollyhock family. Look it up, you will see. It spreads so watch it, I have it in my gardens.

This is a malva and as others have warned, it is extremely invasive. I finally got rid of all of mine, but it is hard to pull up the root. Dig up if you don't get all the root, or they will be back bringing friends the next year!

Althea zebrina or dwarf hollyhock. I had several years ago. I didn't notice a problem with invasive habit. Maybe I was just lucky as I know how difficult to control some invasive plants can be. Yuck to Yucca's!

Thanks so much you people are awesome. I looked it up and it is indeed an Althea Zebrina also called Malva Zebrina. Mystery solved.

Mallow for butterflies.

I've been told, it's a mallow or miniature hollyhock. They do self seed and spread a great deal.