Mold In a Washing Machine's Detergent Dispenser

How do I prevent mold from growing in my washing machine detergent dispenser. I clean it about every 2 weeks but it is still there and there are spots that I just can't get to.

Mary Ellen from Hazlet, NJ

When you're getting ready to wash a load of whites that can be bleached, add 1/2 cup cascade crystals and 1/4 cup bleach into the detergent compartment. This should take care of it! This is one of my most favorite recipes for cleaning!

you can also soak the thing in vinegar. vinegar is my miracle everything.

My whole house smells like a basement and it's drivng us crazy! I've tried Whirlpool's Affresh (3 times) with no luck! I tried Washer Genie and Washer Magic with no luck!

Does anyone know a washing machine cleaner the will remove the fungus smell? P.S. I've already tried bleach, baking soda, vinegar and even salt! I'm ready to get rid of a $1000 machine because my eyes water when I open the door! What causes this odor?

Buy a new dispenser. They cost all of $5 and are commonly available. Much better than trying to clean an old, neglected plastic part.

Run an empty washer on t he clean washer cycle with a dispenser of bleach, I use the scented bleach. Do two rounds and clean the washer well. Remove the detergent dispenser and soak it in the basin with one cup bleach to one gallon water. Let it soak a good hour.

Spray the inside of the housing where you took the dispensor from with tiles and let it stay for a few minutes. Allow to dry. Take one gallon of water and add 3/4 cups bleach and use this to wipe down the gasket where the door closes be sure to get underneath also. Dry with a paper towel (be sure to wear rubber gloves when working with bleach and have a well ventilated area). After you do all this run a hot wash with some bleach to make sure all the bleach residue is gone ( do not put wash unless they are whites, run on sanitary.

After you have done all this and after each wash, remove the detergent dispensor when not in use so the area airs out and mold will not grow. When washer is not in use leave the door open for air movement.

To keep the rest of the washer clean smelling I suggest you purchase a washer fan $70 online at This will keep the air movement in the hose and inside the washer to keep mold and mildew from growing and keep your clothes fresh also. The cost to run the fan is 8 cents per day and it is very quiet.

Good luck.

Jim Fraunberger

Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesMarch 19, 2007
liquid laundry soap
Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipes
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
Cleaning a Fabric Softener Dispenser
Cleaning a Fabric Softener Dispenser
Wheelbarrow Flower Decoration
Crafts Using Laundry Detergent Scoops