Refurbishing the Outside of a Metal Bread Box

I recently bought a metal bread box at a yard sale and would like to utilize it, but it needs some painting or something on the outside as it is just plain silver metal. Any suggestions or ideas of how I could spruce it up would be wonderful.

By WendyD from Palm Springs, CA

Here's an older post that I was able to find. Someone from the thriftyfun community decorated a wooden bread box. You might be able to do something similar with the silver metal one that you got at a yard sale.

Well, bread box is made of aluminum. Sometimes if the aluminum is not prepared properly the paint will peel. My suggestion is to visit Home Depot or your local paint store and get their input for the proper paint and or primer to use.

Scuff up the metal thoroughly with sandpaper made for metal(have a dust mask and goggles on to prevent inhaling any metal dust etc) The sand paper for metal is black and is usually used wet. Paint with paints for metal. I would be tempted to stencil on the word bread and some wheat stalks or a proverb like Bread:The Staff of Life

Painting a Bread Box
Painting a Bread Box
Crafts MiscellaneousMarch 28, 2011
Cleaning Metal
Cleaning Metal
Cleaning Rust off of Metal
Removing Rust from Metal
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
Litter Box
Cat Peeing Outside Litter Box