Additional Warranties at Checkout

At checkout at electronic stores, the clerk will always offer you an additional warranty. The script usually sounds a little like this: "Would like addition buyers protection on this product for only $20.00". Only buy products that have good warranties in the first place, and say "No" when a checker offers you an impulse warranty on electronics. If you are afraid that the product will not last past the manufacturers warranty, it's probably not worth buying. Also, your credit card may offer extended warranties on purchased items already.

By Fisher

we bought a microwave at best buy and bought and extended warranty(it still had a current one) the microwave went bad in 8 months they told us they weren't going to fix it and that the extended warrenty we paid for was null and void so they refunded our money and we bought another one,same brand.this one too we bought another warrenty with it and 8 months it went bad. we ended up paying more money out of our pocket for another brand got it home and found it had been used then put back in the box(it had food splattered inside of it) i won't due business with them again. don't buy the extended warrenty.. most of the time they won't honor it.the guy at best buy told me that buying a warrenty was like paying to use the item for a year i told him i thought that was what i had done when i bought the item

I disagree with this statement. We bought our printers from Office Depot, and purchased the 2 year extended warranty for about $20.00. The extended warranty does not apply until the manufacturer's warranty, which is normally for the first year, expires. But the extended warranty covers <B>everything</B> including wear and tear which is not covered by the manufacturer during that first year.

If you have a problem during the 2nd or 3rd year ( the extended warranty period), they will replace it with the same model if still available, or with one of equivalent value. My printhead went bad just a little over two years after purchase, and they replaced my printer under the extended warranty.The printhead for my Canon printer is over half the price of the printer. Granted, if you have no problems, you have saved that $20. But all insurance is like that. If you never have a car accident, does that mean buying automobile insurance is a waste of money?

Harlean from Arkansas

Consumer Reports clearly states these warranties aren't worth it. They say you should take the money you would have spend on these warranties and put it in an envelope. Then when something need repair that would have been covered by these warranties, use this money.... They claim over time, you will have plenty of money left in your envelope!

All the best....

Jim in Jax

I realize these aren't electronics, but we bought a warranty on a used truck, and it turned out to be a wonderful investment. The truck ended up needing several repairs a couple of years later, and that warranty paid for itself many times over. I also bought a warranty of sorts on jewelry at JC Penneys. One covered 2 yrs for ten dollars. I wore that gold bracelet constantly, never taking it off. When it finally fell apart, I got a brand new one--the exact same thing. Much cheaper than an insurance policy and no deductible--what a deal!

Most products have an express warranty that comes with the purchase(I am not referring to extented warranties that ones purchases).Eleven states have laws no matter what length of any express warranty you recieve from manufacture or seller the state adds protection up to 4 years.Check with your state attorney generals office to see if you live in one of those 11 states.

I have to agree with Harlean from Arkansas. We recently bought a desktop & laptop at Office Depot and purchased the extended warranties. Yes the computers came with 1 yr warranty, but the Office Depot one was much better. After Dealing with computer tech support, it was definitely worth the money, especially since it almost after that first year when you start to have problems.

It might not be worth it on a $100 iPod but it is definitely worth it on something as crucial as a computer or it's components!

There are few things I accept warranties for at the time of purchase. My thought is - if it needs repair (depending on what it is) in a short period of time - I will either return it or I willl suggest that it is not supposed to "break" during that time period and I would expect it to be taken care of by them anyway - (in a professional manner).

Mother and Daughter Shopping at Supermarket
Shopping Tips and Tricks
Budget & Finance ShoppingJune 15, 2006
A woman typing in a credit card number for an online shopping purchase.
Online Shopping Tips
Shirts on Sale
Tips for Price Matching
Stack of Appliance Manuals
Organizing Appliance Manuals
Black laptop on a white background.
Buying a Laptop