Home Organizing Tips

I personally have a really hard time keeping anything in my home organized. My husband and I got married and moved from KY/IN area to Northeast GA 6 months ago and still have boxes everywhere. Now we are talking about starting a home business as well. We need ideas for a multitude of books, keepsakes, pictures, clothes, dishes, food, etc. for the home part and it needs to be something that can be done cheaply but not look cheap.

We have people in and out of the house sparaticly due to my husband being a Youth Minister. I would love to get my house organized and not go out of my mind trying to organize a home office as well. Also, any ideas for kids stuff would be a blessing too. (Trying to plan ahead.) Thank you so much.

Jeggie from Elberton, GA

Two of my favorite tv shows are "Mission:Organization" and "Clean Sweep." Both are full of wonderful ideas. You don't have to buy the fancy-schmancy organizing stuff, but you can get some great ideas.

Do you have shoeboxes? They're boring--but if you cover them with pretty paper or fabric, then you have a nice place to store things. Keep your eyes open for pretty boxes and containers at garage sales and discount stores. Garage sales are a great place to look for shelves, too! Target sells boxes to store photos that range in price, but IMHO, the lesser expensive ones (which I use) look really nice.

If I were you, I'd pick one category and start there:organizing your photos, for example. If you try to do too many things at once, you'll be overwhelmed.

And don't be afraid to get rid of things!

:)Mom2fur

I love using the Flylady system (www.flylady.net). A few of her tips....Work on the organizing and unpacking for 15 minutes at a time. You will be surprised at how much you can get done in a week if you do several 15 minutes a day. Also, I would decide what you really want to display. Just because you have something doesn't mean that you have to display it. If there are items that you aren't sure if you want to keep, put them in a box and store in a closet or garage. If you haven't missed the items in 6 months or a year, you could consider giving the items to charity.

I have moved many times, my best tip is hire

a helper. It could be a niece,nephew, teenager

who needs a little cash flow. They will help you organize and label. I sit in front of tv with boxes and purge old stuff to trash or shred at that time.

I was going to tell you to visit www.flylady.net, but then noticed that someone already gave you that hint. I used to be so unorganized but now I'm following Flylady's instructions and I just love it! It has really saved my mental health! You can start doing some task 15 minute a time, and at some point you'll have it all completed. Have fun!

I heartily recommend www.flylady.com ! Marla Cilley, the Flylady, will show you how to get a handle on your clutter.. 15 minutes at a time... You only need to work at it for 15 minutes. also, she includes a Weekly Home Blessing that I appreciate. She is a Christian woman who did this for herself and it has become so successful shes been asked to share it with others.. There is no charge.. It is free... She only wants to help others... Please give it a try... You wont be sorry...

You may possibly have too much stuff and not enough space in which to put it. So don't blame yourself!

Photo of organized kitchen cabinets.
Organizing Your Home
Organizing TipsFebruary 21, 2006
Balancing and Organizing Your Checkbook
Balancing and Organizing Your Checkbook
Pots, pans and lidshanging on the pegboard in kitchen.
Organizing with Pegboards
Organizing Your Office
Organizing an Office
In a wheelchair doing laundry.
Organizing Your Home When You Have a Disability
🎄