Ants In My Worm Farm

I have a worm farm that is being invaded by little black ants. I was wondering if there was a safe way to get rid of the ants without killing the worms.

Anna from Perth, WA, Australia

Can you get those little round tin containers of ant bait? I bet the worms wouldn't be interested in it, or very few of them would fit anyway. Just a thought. Let me know how it comes out and what solution you try. I'm interested in growing worms, too.

Hi Anna,

The instruction in my "Can-O-Worms" booklet suggests the following.

Raise the moisture content. (I splashed water all over the top of mine)

Add a liberal quantity of garden lime where they are gathering

Smear vaseline around the legs or place each leg in a container of water.

I did all three and this solved the problem. (I didn't do vaseline, but put the legs in used dog food containers filled with water.

Hope this helps,

Maree from Victoria, Australia

HOPE IM NOT TOO LATE,BUT ME & MY MOM IN LOUISIANA HAD RAISED EARTH WORMS & SHE WOULD PUT COFFEE GROUNDS IN WITH THE WORMS WHO LOVED TO EAT IT ALSO,BUT I THINK THAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN WHY WE NEVER SEEN ANY ANTS,UNTIL I MADE A MISTAKE & GAVE THE EARTH WORMS SELF RISING CORNMEAL INSTEAD OF PLAIN YELLOW & THAT WAS A BAD SITE,LOL! I HOPE IT HELPS IT WANT HURT THE WORMS & ALSO TRY NEWS PAPER IN THERE THAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN ANOTHER FACTOR TOO!!GOOD LUCK!

ON THOSE COFFEE GROUNDS YOU CAN USE THE USED COFFEE GROUNDS THATS CHEAPER THAN WASTING IT.

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceMay 14, 2007
Worm Bin
Making a Worm Bin
Ants on a Trumpet Vine
Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine
spoonful of sugar
Can You Use Sugar Contaminated By Ants?
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants
🎉
🎄