SeafoodSalads

Making Tuna Salad

I am looking for a tuna salad recipe? Besides the tuna and mayo, what else is in it?

By Dan from Columbus, OH

You can add some cut up celery. If you don't have any celery on hand, add some celery seed which can be bought in the spice section. I also add a few squirts of yellow mustard which gives the tuna salad a little bit of added flavor.

I add chopped sweet pickle, pickle juice, celery seed and some black pepper. Make it about once a week and we love it. Quick and easy. I use tuna packed in water and drain off the water before making the salad.

I add some chopped up dill pickles, some finely shredded lettuce, pickle juice, salt and pepper. Everyone loves it.

Sweetcorn is a must!

Hardboiled eggs (I use 2 for one can tuna), cut up celery, mayo, chopped onion and sweet pickle (or pickle relish) to taste. I hold the pickle as I prefer it without and my husband adds it at table. Been making it since 1948! Yummy.

We like these added to tuna ,chopped up crisp apple, red onion, dill and sweet pickles , black olives. And I crush up corn chips or a few potato chips just to sprinkle on top. (Even on a sandwich). That way you eat less chips but still have a taste and the crunch. GG Vi

Anonymous

I put in some chopped dill pickles (Vlasic Spicy dill is my fave) (be sure to squeeze out the extra juice after chopping unless you're using a lot of tuna or you'll have a watery mess), a little dried minced onions and if I have some celery on hand I add some of those chopped too. ;-)

I also like to add some lemon juice in my tuna salad. I think it helps with the strong tuna taste

As you can see from the previous posts, you can add just about anything you like to Tuna salad. Everyone has their favorites, mine is finely chopped onion and celery and just enough Miracle Whip to bind it together. Enjoy!

I like to add dill relish or chopped dill pickle and shredded cheese. My daughter also likes to add hardboiled eggs.

Apples, pickles, celery and a little bit of onion, and just a little mayo.

In addition to the basics already covered above, I always add a bit of cocktail sauce (bottled tomato based sauce designed to put on seafood like shrimp and fish). The horseradish gives the tuna salad a nice little kick.

I prefer a little mayo, just a dab of mustard and some sweet pickle relish. The mustard seems to cut down the fishy flavor. My hubby prefers very little mayo, mustard, celery and onion. Best tuna salad ever is at Block's Bagels. I think they put in some cream cheese.

I had no idea you could do so many different things with a tuna salad recipe. Looks like I'll be busy next week testing them all out and seeing which I prefer! Thanks everyone!