Removing Odors from Furniture

I spilled bleach on my couch. How do I get the smell out?

By Denise from TX

It should dissapate over time.

May 16, 2010 Flag

We purchased a fabric sofa some time back. The sofa is in good condition, but it had a peculiar smell. We hired an upholstery cleaner to clean the sofa. He shampooed and steam cleaned it. But the odor still remains. Can someone please suggest how to get rid of the smell?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Vaishali from San Diego

Removing Odors From Furniture

Have you flipped it on it's back and removed the cover underneath? You may have something in the frame of the furniture that the cleaning didn't get. While you are there and there is nothing visible, spray the heck out of it with Febreze or buy charcoal-absorbing containers to leave in there and reattach the under-covering. (01/08/2007)

By Teri

Removing Odors From Furniture

Try a light covering of baking soda; let it set for at least a day then take a lightly damp cloth and wipe the furniture, when dry vacuum. For cat urine on carpet I spray lightly with white vinegar then later use a damp cloth to wipe. Try both. Good luck. (01/08/2007)

By eyelovecats

Removing Odors From Furniture

I got rid of a cigarette smoke smell by leaving a couch outside on the back porch (so it wouldn't get rained on) and spraying it with vinegar and Febreze every day for about a week. I took the cushions off and soaked them in the tub with some Downy, and it took those a while to dry. I actually had to cut them open with an electric knife and let them dry over the vents in the floor. But anyway, the couch doesn't stink at all anymore, even though my grandparents had it and smoked for years. (01/10/2007)

By Allison

Removing Odors From Furniture

Use baking soda and sunshine.

By Sherry from Parsons, KS (01/17/2007)

By jess

Removing Odors From Furniture

Try renting a Rug Doctor steamer and using OxiClean per container directions. But rinse thoroughly and dry completely before sitting on it again. It took out odors from a twenty year old rug my friend had that had never been cleaned. It smells new. It's a deodorizer and lightens slightly if the item is heavily soiled because it removes the soil layer that made it darker. Some upholstery has a naturally bad odor and some upholstered pieces have had the smells washed into the padding.

However, the OxiClean is truly good if you will be certain to rinse it off, since it will eat your skin if you do not rinse several times and let it dry. Then do not sit on it unclothed.

By Lynda

Removing Odors From Furniture

I've taken Wisk or Tide and made a suds from both. Take a sponge or clean rag and pick up the suds only, not the water and rub into the couch. Saved my couch after the furnace blew black dust while away on vacation one winter. It smelled and looked great. (10/11/2008)

By redi

RE: Removing Odors From Furniture

Removing Odors From Furniture

You may want to try a product that was recommended by someone else on this website. The product is called "Room Shocker". I had a situation where my two golden retrievers were sprayed by a skunk and brought the smell into the house and onto my couch.

I tried everything, but could not get the smell out. Then I came to this website, where someone mentioned how well a new product called "Room Shocker" had worked for them under similar circumstances. So I gave it a try. The product worked magnificently. I initially just bought 2, one for my laundry room, and one for the family room, which were hit the hardest. I followed the directions, and let the products sit overnight.

The product releases a vapor that penetrates into everything including the fabric and foam in my couch, and even penetrates the wood grain in my hardwood floors. The next morning, I was amazed. There was absolutely no residual smell of skunk. There was however a bit of a chlorinated smell, which was preferable over the prior smell. The chlorinated smell went away within about a half hour after opening the doors and windows throughout the house.

This product is really a lifesaver. According to the information that came with it, it not only eliminates the order, but it decontaminates the room. So that's a big plus and comes with a money back guarantee. I guess the only place you can get right now is a website called If you have odor problems take it for me, this is the stuff.

By Martha S.

Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureMay 16, 2010
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
large couch
Removing Odors from Furniture
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
New green sofa.
Removing Odors From New Furniture