Resocializing a Dog That Was Attacked

Dog That Was Attacked
It can be traumatize your dog when it has been assaulted by another, and it may not trust others. This guide is about resocializing a dog that was attacked.

How can I get my dog not to react to other dogs and people when I walk him? When he was around 11 months he was attacked by a Chocolate Lab, which broke a few of his ribs. My dog is red like a fox and looks like one too, without the black legs. He was well socialized with other dogs and people as a puppy.

When the attack occurred he changed for the worst and now he trusts no one except his immediate family and 4 other dogs he grew up with and lived with. I used to take him and the other dogs to dog beaches. Unfortunately, that is where he got attacked! If it was not for me reacting and kneeing the lab in the throat he would have torn him to bits! That is what the vet told me!

By Debra An

Listen to the dog, he's scared to death to go back. He was attacked and hurt bad. Dogs don't forget. If you have to take dogs, carry him or leave him with someone else.That's all I know to tell you. I'm no expert but I hope it helps.

My 15 month old Doxie was attacked by two big dogs in the park across the road from my apartment. I took him to wee then at the back of the apartment on the sidewalk and that worked well. For the last two months he has become very scared on the sidewalk and will not relax enough to wee or poop particularly if he sees another dog approaching with its owner a far distance away. He shakes and tries to leopard crawl towards the apartment and safety. We are approaching winter and I need to be able to take him outside to relieve himself as quickly as possible so need help asap! Any ideas?