Add Eggshells To Houseplants

By Sharon L Martin 12 5

Crushed egg shells gives house plants and flower plants a growth burst. They love it.

By Sharon Lee from Canada

Showing: Comments Sort

By melinda 1 146 Flag

I'll have to try this!! Never knew what to do with those eggshells!!! And I don't have a green thumb, so I need all the help I can get!!! Thanks!!!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Mary 16 Flag

If you have mama birds nesting in your yard, the eggshells are also very good to put out for them. The mamas need the extra calcium in the shell while they are feeding their young. Yeah, I know, I know - they are not nursing but my backyard is a wildlife habitat and every book I read to set it up suggested putting out the shells while the females were pregnant and feeding their young. Also, don't contribute to our landfills by putting Rover's dog hair in the trash, Many types of birds love it for making nests. If you have some dried out pine needle mulch left, don't bury all of it for compost. Our feathered friends LOVE them for nest building.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jennifer 2 3 Flag

Eggshells are also great to use if you have problems with snails or slugs. Just break the eggshells into pieces and sprinkle around the base of the plant. The snails/slugs are killed because of their soft bodies moving across the eggshells. I would rather use this than chemicals or beer because of my children.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

does this help the cuttings to grow roots?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By L O'Brien 5 21 Flag

When you boil eggs - strain any yucky bits out of the water - keep this water and let it cool completely and use to water house plants - the boiling extracts lots of minerals from the shells and acts as a free-feed.

Kindest regards - Borasic Lint

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

What about putting eggshells in water and letting them sit for awhile? Think my mom used to do that but I cant remember. Also I remember not to leave the eggshells out. Hate birds; they are to loud and don't stop from 2 am till around 6 pm, so I shoot them with my bb gun, and add them to the compost pile. lol

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Home and Garden Gardening House PlantsJuly 7, 2006
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Fertilizing Houseplants
Fertilizing Houseplants
Insect Problems on Houseplants
Solutions for Insect Pests on Houseplants
Self Watering Houseplant
Watering Houseplants On Vacation
A girl watering a house plant.
Caring for Houseplants
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 11:17:11 PM on 10.0.2.83 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings