Turning a Raised Pool Deck Into a Playhouse

I have a raised deck that went beside an above ground pool. We don't use the deck with the pool so it's wasted space. My friend had the idea of turning it into a playhouse; getting a plastic BBQ grill, play stove, small table, etc., at consignment stores to put out there. The deck is 8' x 13' raised, with 3 steps leading up to the deck with a swinging door. It has basic deck flooring with a railing and wooden lattice surrounding 3 sides about 2 to 3 feet up (I'll add a railing & lattice to the 4th side). My youngest daughter's birthday is in March so this would be a nice birthday surprise. Any suggestions for this project?

Nancy from Milton, FL

Don't forget shade if it is in a sunny area. A standing umbrella, dining canopy or some other way of shading it should be considered.

I'm trying to come up with shading ideas as well. I'm in Florida so I definitely need shade for them but there's also that pesky issue of hurricanes so I need something that I can take down. I think there are some bamboo shades in the attic left from the previous home owners. I might be able to use that for the sunny side. Now I need to figure out something for a cover. Maybe an umbrella or some type of removable awning. I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive solution. I had an idea last night to paint the deck flooring to look like it has a throw rug on it.

Depending on how high the platform is, could she play under it? Our old pool platform has a tarp over it, covering three sides. The dogs use it for shade, and my granddaughter used to play under it when she was younger. I put a piece of old carpet under it for her.

Two story backyard playhouse.
Building an Outdoor Playhouse
Home and Garden Home Improvement AdviceJanuary 31, 2007
Water on Deck
Homemade Deck Cleaner Recipes
Sealing a Painted Deck
Sealing a Painted Deck
Beautiful Cedar Deck
Removing Sap from a Deck
Man Pressure washing his Wood Deck
Cleaning a Wood Deck