Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Use Sweet N' Low for Ants

This isn't a tip, it's a thank you for a contributor to Thriftyfun.com who suggested putting down Sweet n Low to get rid of ants.

Works like a charm! Better than ant traps. If it rains though, of course you have to put down more.

When I see ants, I open several packets (one would probably be fine, but I tend to be a little gung ho on things) and spread them out in the path they're making.

It's amazing to watch how they stop and start carrying some of it back to their nest. I've actually seen them carve a path in the white Sweet N Low. I see less of them the next day and by the second day the ants are gone.

Naturally, I use the cheapest version of Sweet N Low that I can find! Not the actual brand name!! Too expensive!

Thank you for the tip. It worked and was cheap and simple. We love that!

By metroplex

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Janet [7]11/04/2009

What a great idea.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Artificial Sweetener on an Ant Hill

Here in Texas (as in the rest of the South) we have a problem with ants...fire ants and regular ants. As soon as we notice an ant pile, my husband opens up a couple of packages of "Sweet and Low" and pours onto the mound. If it's a really big mound he uses more, use your judgment. The ants bring it into their nest and usually within a day all the ants are gone. Once again, if it's a really big pile it may take a couple of days. But since we were told of this trick we have been able to keep them under control. Also, this whole summer I have not had any ants in the house. I guess if you control them outside they won't be coming into the house. It really works!

By Margaret

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.