AdviceParties

Ideas for a Small Party at Home

I need some cool ideas for a small, at home gathering for a 7 year old and three of her friends.

By Velia from San Antonio, TX

I remember when I was 7, only 6 years ago. I pretended I had powers, I was a fairy one day, a princess the next. Then I was a secrect spy. Talk to your daughter to get a feel of what she likes to pretend. Then get them some party favors that goes along with that from the dollar store. The girls wont want the fun to end, so you let the have a slumber party to. (and if its a summer birthday, the hose is really fun to play with its different settings too)

We used to do craft parties. There are a ton of websites with suggestions using found materials and inexpensive stuff. Makingfriends.com is a good source for ideas, though you can get the supplies locally.

For food, English muffin or pita pizzas always worked well. The kids could fix their own, with whatever toppings they wanted. I would line a cookie sheet with foil, use a dull pencil to mark off a grid, and write each child's name in one space on the grid, so they would each get their own creation back. For dessert, I usually made plain cupcakes, and bought a couple of cans of frosting and put out an assortment of candies and sprinkles for the kids to decorate their own. You don't need a whole lot of any one candy, and can use what you have around the house. As a mom, I always felt compelled to put out either baby carrots or cut-up apples to balance out the pizza and sugar!

I also did as much as possible outside!

Do a simple spa with doing nails, etc. My granddaughter just turned 8 and she likes to do that. For her birthday mom had rain back up. It was to be miniature golf or bowling if it rained. They golfed. They were having a goofy good time of it. When you over think it, then it is your party, not a child's.

Could even take the girls to a movie. The local theater here has party packages, $1 off tickets, $3.50 for pop, popcorn and snack treat, for X number of party kids. Be surprised how many kids don't ever get to a theater due to video rentals. That is a social grace they are missing.

Board games and hunting for hidden item giving hot/lukewarm/cold clues. Hold an auction and have each party goer bring something they don't mind parting with that is theirs and giving out same amount of pennies to each bidder. When bidders coins are used up, they are done. You could also give the one with the most coins left something like gum or a box of candy for being a thrifty buyer or let them all keep their remaining coins.

For a summer party, blowing bubbles is a really fun activity. You can buy bottles of bubble stuff for a dollar or so if you shop around. Giant bubbles are also pretty fantastic. You use dishwashing liquid and get some sort of large bubble maker from the dollar store. You can either do the bubbles as an activity, or give the bubble stuff as a party favor.

With only 4 little girls, you could also do a baking activity. Making and decorating sugar cookies would be fun, or if you are adventuresome and an accomplished cook, try something different like biscuits or homemade pizza.

I also think that a craft would be fun. Some things that work well with small groups would be craft stick projects, small mosaic projects or kits. Michaels, or other craft stores often have inexpensive kits.

A dress up party with wild clothes from a dress up box can be a riot. Hats, old high heels, old evening gowns , vests, belts, scarves, all are wonderful things. They can be society ladies or pirates! Be sure to take a picture!

I always found that a weiner roast and marshmallows was a great party lunch. We had a fire pit in the yard, so it wasn't a problem.