My Frugal Life: Frolicking On The Sand

Life can be quite challenging and interesting, if one applies some ingenuity and has an open mind. I tend to walk everywhere which is borne from not wanting to pay the bus fare. My Frugal LifeWhen I realized that not wanting to pay bus fare was another way of saying "I'm cheap" I then realized that this could turn into something for me. I began grocery shopping starting at the "reduced for quick sale" produce shelf. Then I discovered that a packed lunch (with perhaps a Tetrapak half quart of wine) and a nice hike was a splendid way to spend an afternoon. I live close to the shore of Lake Ontario and I can walk for miles along the sandy beaches.

On one of my long walks (10 miles) from work to home, I came across a picnic bench with a small cairn erected out of skipping stones. (Cairns are common in the far north - made of large stones and thought to be erected as a direction beacon.) How perfectly Canadian, and frugal. Although I am Canadian by birth and life, I am frugal by choice. I see so much more than what I would notice from a bus, much less a car. It's a great feeling and environmentally friendly -- but I'll leave that discussion for another day. Here's to frugal frolicking on the sand.

Sam from Hamilton, Ontario

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

This sounds wonderful, and I love long walks. But where I live many of the streets are not pedestrian friendly. Also, neighborhood hooligans take note of who is out walking their dogs in order to throw objects at their house while they are gone. I often go to the mall just to walk. I'm not tempted to spend much money because I know of stores that have the same or better merchandise for less. I would rather have a beach or a mountain trail to walk on and Canada sounds beautiful, but I have to work with what is here.

Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeJune 12, 2008
Piggy Bank Surrounded by Money
Adding Up the Savings of a Frugal Life
Putting Money in Change Purse
Living a Frugal Lifestyle
Frugal Birthday Party
Frugal Party Locations
A young child counting coins.
Teaching Your Kids About Frugal Living
🎉
🎄