Dollar Store Treasure Chest for Christmas

Since one of the best parts of Christmas for little kids is to open presents, I decided this year to make it a real treasure chest for my grandchildren. I went to our local Dollar Store and bought each one of them a plastic bin, then started picking out as many gender/age appropriate little items as I could find. They included stickers, pens, pencils, crayons, Play-Doh, coloring books, story books, hair accessories, diaries, erasers, markers, puzzles, playing cards, photo frames and so on.

To make the parents happy and cut down on all the candy and chocolate they might consume, I bought individual applesauces, juice boxes and even a pudding type cake mix that they can bake with their parents at a later time to create some family fun. I then proceeded to wrap each and every item separately and fill each bin to the top.

After each was full, I took plain green and red Christmas plastic tablecloths, set the bin in the middle, pulled the tablecloth up around it and tied a ribbon around it. Now when the kids open the tablecloth not only will they will find the all the little treasures inside left to open, but have a plastic sheet to play on, write on, stick stickers on etc, and create their very own masterpieces. It will also set the adults minds at ease knowing the carpet or table is protected from any markers, etc. They also have a bin to collect and carry all their little treasures home in. I can't wait to see their faces on Christmas.

By Bestbiddy from Belleville, ON, Canada

Thanks for a wonderful idea bestbiddy! I'm down the road and around the lake from you in Fort Erie :)

What a good idea; and you sound as though you had as much fun putting it together, as the grandchildren will when they open it! :) That's what makes Christmas fun, isn't it?

YES! Am smiling as I read your post :)

My uncle & aunt did that for me & my younger sister when we were about 8 & 5. Got us these two huge stockings and wrapped tons of dime-store gifts. It was so much fun to open them all! I think I even still have saved a couple of the gifts. There's a few photos of us acting silly with the "ugly nose & black mustache plastic glasses" and the "wax lips" candy. That's one of the gifts I still remember to this day over 20 years later!

Great thinking, and merry Christmas!

That sounds like SO much fun and I am sure your grandchildren will have such a great time! What great little ideas to keep them having hours and days of fun! Thank you for sharing!

Great idea!! I used to buy a basket or small bin and fill it with pens, stationery, stamps, hand lotion, etc, for my grandmother. It was a gift that was different than the usual and I think she appreciated that it was tailored to her needs and wishes and not just the same old thing as before. It's a gift style that can vary from year to year and is easy to buy throughout the year to prepare for Christmas day.

What a great idea!! It would also be perfect for birthday parties too!

BestBiddy...

I bet your grandkids think you are the World's Greatest Grandma after they open those tablecloths on CHRISTmas morning! Way to go, Grandma! You rock!

God Bless,

Sheila in Decatur, IL

Holidays and Parties Christmas Gifts FrugalDecember 10, 2008
Cedar Chest
Removing Mothball Odor From a Cedar Chest
Making a Christmas Stocking
Making a Christmas Stocking
A man holding a dollar.
Shopping at Dollar Stores
Dollar Weed
Getting Rid of Dollar Weed
🎄