Make Car Travel Fun for Kids with Surprise Toys

Before starting any vacation or car-travel, go to a good $1 store and pick out 5 small quiet toys for each child. Then give these to them one at a time throughout the trip instead off buying trinkets at each stop along the way. This will not only keep your children occupied, but will save you all kinds of money. You can even use these toys as "bribery", as in "If you keep your voices down and don't fight with your sister for the next hour, I have a new toy for you.

By Cyinda from near Seattle

I do something similar only I buy up little toys, action figure, books ,etc at garage sales. I put them in their little backpacks they take on trips and don't let them get into them till we reach our destination. They get such a kick out of seeing what Mommy has gotten them!

Great tip, and one I have found myself using recently with a 2 year old. I have heard that for added fun, you could wrap the toy up in wrapping paper... just for more anticipation and excitement.

Keeping Kids Entertained on Road Trips, Photo of a child with earphones on in the back seat of a car.
Keeping Kids Entertained on Road Trips
Travel and Recreation TravelJuly 20, 2008
Sky Blue Retro Travel Trailer 3
Buying a Used Travel Trailer
Family in Car Leaving in Winter
Saving Money on Holiday Travel
Traveling With Kids, Family on Vacation in the back of Their Car
Traveling With Kids
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Frog Costume