Planting Grass Where I Have a Concrete Patio

I would like to have grass where we have a concrete patio. Do I need to remove the concrete or can I put topsoil over the concrete?

Kathleen from western NY

By all mean remove the concrete, your grass will not grow with out proper drainage, the concrete will hold the water and there will be rot and you will have quit a mess on you hands.

I don't know how big your patio is, but I bought a house several years ago with a very large back yard. As I mowed the lawn, I discovered that quite near the back door was an area of lawn that felt "different" - the ground was harder. I traced the harder part around and discovered that it was an old patio. A little while later, I got a steel spatula and started removing the grass that had grown there so that I would have less to mow and also a grass-free patio. So grass will grow over a patio quite well. It may not look like the rest of the lawn for a while, but given time, nature will claim it.

removing the concrete is not an option, can holes be drilled into it for some drainage?

Just curious what you decided to do? I would like to grow some grass for my dog to go potty, but my backyard consists of a small concrete patio. Its a bottom floor condo. Any thoughts, especially how to get the drainage problem fixed. Does the patch grass work for something like this? Does it have to be replaced often?

Patio Furniture on Grass
Replacing a Patio with Grass
Home and Garden Gardening LawnMay 20, 2007
Installer Pavers
Making a Paving Stone Patio
Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
Removing Paint from Concrete
Blue Chairs and Table on Patio
Repairing Patio Furniture
Dog on Concrete
Dog Pooping and Peeing on Concrete
🎄