Removing Metal Scratches from Dishes

My gorgeous Floral Expressions plates got horribly scratched from cutting our food the first time we used them! They were so pretty it makes me sick! I'm so cheap, I really don't want to buy anything. Isn't there some concoction I can mix up from household stuff? I've tried the baking soda and water paste with lots of elbow grease and it didn't work. Thanks!

luvvy from Southwest, VA

Tried pencil eraser. Didn't work at all.

I have off white pfaltzgraff dishes and I use barkeepers friend. It has low grit, is very gentle and is made for items such as these. You can find it in the aisle next to the Ajax scrub.

Have you tried Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser? Love it for many removals. Hope it works.

I used glass/ceramic cook-top cleaner to remove a scratch on my son's car, maybe it would work on your plates as well, worth a try. Hope it works

Phyllis in Oregon

I tried the toothpaste and baking soda and regretfully no results. Hope to find another trick. Thanks anyway.

Try Barkeeper's friend. It's sold in most grocery stores. You'll find it where the ajax and comet is located. Also go to www.barkeepersfriend.com to see a list of uses. I recommend mixing as a paste. Apply to the plate. First let it sit on the plate for at least ten minutes then with a toothbrush or sponge gently wipe the white center first. The color might fade. I use Corelle dishware. I have continously used barkeeper's friend for years. This product polishes brass, use on plastic, glass, stainless steel, porcelin etc. Go to the site to read more about this great product. I would never be without it!

Jennifer CA

I had the same problem. I called the manufacturer and they said to use Zud. It works great. Can be found in the Ajax/Comet aisle.

I tried the pencil eraser on my luminarc black plates. Metal scratches from knives... works great! Thanks so much for the suggestion!

I am trying to find a way to remove the metal scratches on my cups and plates made by my stainless steel spoons and forks.

Evelyn from Pittsburgh, PA

Answers:

Removing Metal Scratches from Dishes

Try scrubbing with a little baking soda and water. (10/22/2004)

By Jean

Removing Metal Scratches from Dishes

I heard you could use a pencil eraser. It usually takes the marks off anything. Also, have you used the Mr. Clean eraser blocks? They're great for cleaning almost anything. (10/23/2004)

By Sharon

Removing Metal Scratches from Dishes

Try Softscrub. (05/25/2005)

By Judy

Removing Metal Scratches from Dishes

Pfaltzgraff makes a product to remove scratches from dishes. It works but they come right back.
(10/29/2005)

By Jean W

Removing Metal Scratches from Dishes

Try toothpaste (preferably Colgate) and rub with a dry hand towel. It works with my eyeglasses and glass on my watches. I never tried it with dishes but I think it works. (09/25/2007)

By lovelysmycke

Removing Metal Scratches from Dishes

I tried Colgate on metal marks on my sink. Works a treat! Need to rub a bit though. (10/19/2008)

By Nomad