BabyParenting

Why Buy Baby Food?

Category Baby

You need never (or at least rarely buy baby food) if you just plan ahead.

Bananas - just mash over ripe bananas with a fork or in a blender if you have a lot. Extra can be put in an ice cube tray and frozen for later. Serve alone or with cereal.

Cereal - Baby cereal is very convenient, but you can put oatmeal in the blender with boiling water and it will be very creamy. Cream of wheat is an excellent cereal for babies and Cream of Rice is even better. These are not instant but cook up very quickly in the blender with boiling water.

Fresh or frozen carrots can be cooked up and mashed as well as frozen peas.

Instant potatoes are easy as well and blend well with many other vegetables.

Just remember not to salt or sugar any foods given to babies. It is much better for them to learn to eat foods without these additions.

By Debra

www.wholesomebabyfood.com

This is just about my fave site for BFood rec's

I found out from my pediatrician that carrots are one of the few foods you should not make for babies. Commercially-grown "adult" carrots have a concentration of some chemical that is too much for babies although it is okay for kids and adults. Can't recall what the chemical is, but carrots grown for baby food have acceptable levels of this chemical in it.

Too bad, because carrots are one of the easiest foods to make into baby food (before finding out).

I make almost all of my baby's food - except cereal. Infant cereal is fortified with iron, whereas the adult version is not. My pediatrician gave the go-ahead to feed my daughter all table food except the cereal. He said she simply wouldn't get enough iron otherwise. If you do decide to make your own cereal, ask your pediatrician if your baby needs an iron supplement.