Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Decorating the Deck for My Wedding

I am getting married in about 2 weeks (June 6th, 2009). We are getting married on our deck and having the reception inside. I really need to figure out how to decorate the deck soon. It is longer than wide, but huge (length of the house). Any ideas are very much appreciated.

By Future Mrs. McCarthy from Marietta, OH

By Shauna [3]05/26/2009

Are you in the city or in the country? A friend of mine went and pruned some trees and attached the branches complete with leaves to the inside of the garage. It was like a reception in the woods with the twinkle lights and tulle, and was really pretty. Maybe the local garden centre will rent you some of their pots for the day? Or you can usually rent different items from special event rental places. Worst that can happen is they will say no if you ask. Best of luck!

By dede smith [17]05/22/2009

I had my reception at the house and had a great time becasue it reduced the worry of things not being to hand. Congrats to you. Here is a website with great prices eFavormart.com.
They have some great ivy and rose garlands. I helped a friend do her wedding recently, and we use ultra thin, fishing wire to secure a row of helium filled ballons on, then attached the ends to each side of the tables to create an arch. It was very nice. You could create a back drop for the center or small half arches from the roof to the deck railing.

Or two, maybe three anchored to the yard in front of the deck. Center some trailing ivy and flowers in between the arches. Line the railing with tea lights or string lights, fill the centers of the arch with potted flowers. Some of these ideas may not even require helium to accomplish.

By Frances Adams [11]05/22/2009

Net by the yard is really cheap at Walmart, and avail in a color I am sure will match your colors. Buy yardage of that, and twist with twinkle lights, then hang on the railing, or if there isn't one, on the edge of the roof.

Nice candle holders can be made from empty veggie cans---spray paint in your colors, or wrap and tape on fabrics to match. Fill bottom with sand, place tea lights inside, and use to decorate stairs, etc---you can get the cans from anywhere that serves buffet type lunches---our local grocery store serves lunch, and are very happy to save cans---even the big ones work, just place a larger, cheap candle inside.

Flowers=cheap dollar store fake flowers look just as nice, and $1 a bunch, wrapped with some netting, or cheap fabrics, ribbon, etc, and tied onto porch railings, etc.

Good luck to you, and don't feel bad about trying to save money. The wedding will look just as great, and give you just as wonderful memories, as a million dollar one!

By Allison05/21/2009

Are you working with a florist? Try to tie in your dress colors and the floral arrangements with plantings and pots on the deck. Also look for fragrant flowers.

By Judi [17]05/21/2009

You could rent/buy/borrow some young trees (plant them later!) and string them with twinkle lights and cover the pots with fabric that matches your color scheme. If there is a railing along the deck it would be pretty to string those same lights down the rail.

By Dana Thompson05/21/2009

Hey there, Congratulations first of all. You didn't mention what time of day the wedding is going to be, but I think floral topiaries would add a simple elegance to the deck. They don't even need to be real flowers. These days, you can get silk flowers that have such a real look to them. Or it could be ivy topiaries. If you feel that you don't have the craftiness to do that, just get a few potted Ficus trees and put twinkle lights in them.
Or if it's a dusk wedding, do some luminaries. Candles always, always give that romantic glow to the atmosphere. I wish you the best of luck!