CatsPest Control

Keeping Neighbors Pets From Defecating in Yard

How do I stop neighbours dogs and cats defecating in our garden please?

By crikey from Australia

Save your citrus peels (i.e. orange, lemon etc) and either grind them up in your blender/food processor or chop finely with a sharp knife and sprinkle liberally over your garden area. The pets despise this scent and will hunt other places. Just remember to respread when it rains (or you water your garden) to keep the scent fresh. It won't take but a few applications until the pets 'get the message' and will leave your garden alone without further treatments.

I have used this method for my neighbor pets for years, only having to repeat when the neighbors acquire a new pet.

Put up an electric fence. ; )

We have feeders and bird baths out for birds, I don't want to deter or harm wild birds nor upset my cat who likes to sit and lay on the window sill when the window is open. So how do we deter those neighborhood "poopers"?

By boolaaboo from Orlando, FL

Anonymous

Why don't you simply talk to the owners of the 'poopers' and ask them to keep their pets out of your yard? Most areas have leash laws for dogs (and some even for cats) so if the neighbors won't comply just call your local authorities. For the areas that don't have leash laws for cats simply forewarn the neighbors that you will have their cat picked up by animal control if they don't keep their kitty indoors.

Simply spray the border of your yard with chlorine bleach. Any brand will do.

Anonymous

Please do not use chlorine bleach to accomplish stopping the poopers! Not only is it highly toxic to you and the environment but it can also be deadly! Ask yourself if you could live with yourself if your neighbors pet or child (or children or pets in your family) died because of having used it in your yard.

Try spreading lime along the perimeter of your yard, it deters snakes, it may work with neighbors pets, etc..