Helping My Husband Match His Clothing

Can I get some ideas on how to organize my husband's dress shirts and pants so he knows what goes with what. He is color blind so is not good at matching shirt and pant colors.

I tried putting shirts with pants in groups, but some shirts will go with more than one pair of pants. He use to be able to wear jeans every day so it wasn't a concern now he needs to wear a dress shirt and "Dockers". I have lots of closet space to work with, I just don't know how to go about it. Any ideas would be great.

By Darlene from Los Angeles, CA

Various paper clips is my first idea (actually yarn was my first idea until I read your husband is color blind)

Get a variety of shapes and sizes. Put a specific one with each pair of pants. Clip them on the pocket (same pocket for all of them so he doesn't have to look for it).

Make notes for yourself which one goes with what color pants. For each shirt put on a matching clip for the pants they go with (put the clips on the collar so he doesn't miss seeing them and takes them off).

Put a small basket nearby so he can toss the clips in the basket for you to use on clean clothes after laundry.

small, medium & large paper clip

small, medium & large gator clip

figure 8 clips (I don't know what else to call them) they look like a W with a line over it various sizes

I think that would cover 9 possible colors to match to

You could just go by Staples or Office Max and check out their aisle with paper clips.

I am sure there are other ways too. If you know someone who is blind or someone who knows a blind person they coul tell you how they do it. I'm sure it is shape related so anything that gives you different shapes to match up would work.

Is there a reason that you can't pick them out for him?

Maybe the night before, you could put the shirt and pants together on a hook on the closet door.

Since you have lots of closet space, maybe you could put everything that he could wear together in one space dividing that space clearly from another say with a cardboard tag like the do not disturb signs hotels use?

Put sets together on one hanger ready for him to put on pants, shirt and tie.

Only buy neutral color pants, tan, brown, black; that will go with any color shirt.

Somehow photos might come into play here if we think about it some, if his shirts are patterned perhaps he could recognize them this way.

Buy two different shades of pants that will go with the same set of several shirts put these in their own divided space. If you do this with several sets he should be taken care of, hopefully.

Hope these ideas helped.

Here's a link to an article on the topic. ... _to_organize_your_clothes.html?cat=6

Hope it helps.

I would place numbered clothes pins on each hangar. Assign each color a number. When a shirt goes with 3 colors place 3 numbered clothes pins on the shirt hanger. That way he can pull out a pair of pants that are a number one and then look at all the shirts that have number ones on them and choose the one he likes best.

Colour code the hangers - use cheap beads, coloured paper or etc

As I have a very limited wardrobe and have memorized many of the colors of my clothes, I am mostly able to color coordinate in spite of my visual impairment. To help your hubby independently choose his wardrobe... Any store (brick & mortar or online) that markets to the blind and visually impaired markets color identifiers and color-matching systems.

Many are tactile or Braille. If he doesn't want to have to learn Braille, he could perhaps simply learn the different patterns. You could also try stringing small beads on small safety pins - different configurations of beads for different colors. For example, one bead for either white, black or whatever neutral color you choose, two for shades of blue or whatever color is most prominent, etc.

I had a colorblind partner. I just marked the color name on tag with a sharpie(i.e. Light blue and put a list of colors that go together i.e. light blue-navy, black. Very easy, and after a while she learned the combination that work. I'm sure that doing this with a female was more difficult than it will be for a man. Don't overthink, this is easy.

Either people didn't read the original post, or some of these answers don't go with this question.

Anyway, try alphabet labelling with a laundry marker in a discreet place. All "A" shirts match "A" pants. "A/B" pants will match both "A" shirts and "B" shirts. And so forth.

Organized Colorful Clothing
Organizing Clothing for the Color Blind
Organizing ClothingJanuary 19, 2010
Pink wedding shoes.
Dyeing Wedding Shoes
white cat on piano
Understanding Cat Behavior
Helping Someone With Alzheimer's
Helping a Loved One with Alzheimer's
painting a dresser
Painting Furniture to Match Your Decor