Mike's Polynesian BBQ Sauce

This is a very easy BBQ sauce to put together. It has a nice variety of flavors and goes well with all sorts of meats. The aroma of it's cooking is enough to make your mouth water just anticipating the taste. Feel free to double or triple the recipe.

• 1 cup cider vinegar
  • 2/3 cup prepared mustard
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2 cups pineapple juice
  • 1 tsp. soy sauce
  • 2 tsp. Chinese 5-Spice Powder
  • 1 tsp. black pepper
  • 2-3 tsp. hot sauce
  • 2-3 Tbsp. olive oil

Stir together all ingredients in a saucepan. Place on medium heat and bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Reduce heat, and simmer 15-20 minutes until mixture has thickened a little.

Keep in a jar in the refrigerator and use as a marinade for chicken or pork. Discard portion of mixture used for marinade and use the rest to baste meat while grilling or roasting. Do not reuse the marinade portion for anything.

Servings: Makes 4 cups
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes

Source: Our son Mike's recipe. He made it up and used it to cook all sorts of meats on a grill for his 18th birthday. He is a restaurant manager and often uses his creative cooking talents to surprise us here at home.

By Julia from Boca Raton, FL

I am impressed that finally someone has come up with a BBQ Sauce that doesn't require using liquid smoke, but relies on a grill doing what it's meant to do. Have you ever tried this on vegetables? Thank you Julia and thank your son. You are lucky to have a son who

can cook.

Thumbs Up.

Hi HP,

As a matter of fact, yes, we did put the sauce on thick slices of sweet vidalia onion and on slices of zucchini. Both were very good. I'm not sure what other vegetables it'd work on, but if you do any experimenting, do let us know. I'd think yellow squash would work, and I'm trying to "taste in my mind" the flavor of that sauce on slices of sweet potato.

It should work really well on green or red bell peppers and if you're making kebobs, just about any fruit you select should be fine. As I said, let us know what your imagination comes up with.

Thank you for feedback and a great question.

Yum, gotta love a guy who can really cook like this! I've gotta try making this someday. I'm only sorry my younger daughter couldn't try it. She's highly allergic to pineapple.

Oh Yum! This sounds delicious. I will certainly try it on meat as well as vegetables. Thank you and thank Mike too.

Thumbs Up Julia

Can you tell me what you mean by hot sauce please? Obviously not Tabasco.

Heather, Australia

Hi Heather,

Although Tabasco would be too hot for my family, there are people who would prefer it to a lesser hot sauce. We use a brand named Tapatio which is quite a bit less hot on the scale,

and is a very flavorful sauce. It may not be available in your homeland, so if you can only find Tabasco, I'd think a few drops of that one would work all right. Of course, you can leave it out all together too, or simply mince a very small jalapeno pepper and add that at the beginning of the cooking time. I wish you could get the Tapatio brand there. It has such a wonderful flavor without being over-poweringly spicy hot.

Thank you for asking as others might have the same question.

Hope this helps.

Polynesian BBQ Sauce
Food and Recipes Recipes BBQ & GrillJune 30, 2011
Peanut Sauce Recipes, Pork satay with peanut sauce dip.
Peanut Sauce Recipes
Homemade Barbecue Sauce
Homemade Barbecue Sauce Recipes
BBQ Chicken Pizza
BBQ Chicken Pizza Recipes
Serving bbq ribs to a large group.
Making BBQ for a Large Group