Cole Slaw

This in another of my Mom's recipes. This is the way they used to write recipes out, without exact measurements. You grated enough vegetables for the number of people you were serving, and made enough dressing for the veggies. I added my own estimates.

• Grated cabbage (about 1/2 of a smallish one)
  • Grated carrots (2 or 3)
  • Equal amounts sugar and evaporated milk (1/2 cup of each)
  • Half as much each of vinegar and salad dressing - Miracle Whip or Hellman's (1/4 cup of each)

Directions:

Mix the sugar and evaporated milk well with a fork. Let it sit until the sugar melts in. Add the salad dressing and mix it in thoroughly. Beat the vinegar in. Mix the cabbage and carrots and pour the dressing over. Chill well. If you don't have enough vegetables for this amount of sauce, you can always grate some more. It will keep for about a week. You can reduce the sugar or tinker around with this a little, too. It's forgiving.

Source: my mother, Vicy

By Copasetic 1 from North Royalton, OH

That is definitely how they used to write recipes, and there was also a pinch of this and a dash of that. When it came baking my mother rarely followed a recipe. She also didn't use measuring cups and measuring spoons (they were an extra expense.) For a cup she used a coffee cup, and for the tsp. and tbsp. she used regular spoons that we ate with.

Like yours and Redhatterb's mothers, this is the way my own mother cooked and wrote out her recipes. That was when women were pretty much stay-at-home mothers and they cooked so much that they just knew what worked. I learned to cook this way from my mother who could measure out a teaspoon of salt in the palm of her hand, then put it in a measuring spoon, and it'd be perfect, so I learned to trust my own judgement the same way.

There aren't too many foods that are so critical to a few grains one way or the other that it'd make a bit of difference anyway. If you have access to the measuring cups and spoons, you should try using other things like your "handful" or teaspoons to see just how much you'd be off it you were to use them for measuring.

My mom's old recipes were more like guidelines for foods as she'd enter about as many variations to things as exact

amounts of anything. They were fun to read and learn with.

Thanks for the memories.

HokeyPoke

Coleslaw in White Ramekin
Coleslaw Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Salads ColeslawMarch 19, 2011
Close-up of a bowl of coleslaw on a picnic table
Copycat Kentucky Fried Chicken Coleslaw
butterfly of an imported cabbage worm
Garden Insects: Imported Cabbage Worms
zucchini slaw recipes
Zucchini Slaw Recipes
Sliced Strawberries in a Bowl.
Berry Slaw
🎄