In a large saucepan, saute the onion, carrots and celery in butter until tender. Stir in the potato soup and two cans of undrained clams. Drain and discard juice from remaining can of clams; add clams to soup. Combine cornstarch and a small amount of cream until smooth; stir into soup. Add the remaining cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
By Robin from Washington, IA
I live at the ocean with a lobster fisherman husband. Here's New England Clam Chowder (or add fish, and /or creamed corn):
1. fry onions (I like a lot - maybe 3 medium onions)
2. add potatoes (I like about 6 medium)& water to just barely cover
3. add salt pork to potatoes (can use bacon strips - 2 or 3) cook;
4. when potatoes are soft, add clams canned or cooked & shucked or fish & cook until done; or add 1 to 2 can(s) creamed corn
5. add a can of evaporated skim milk & additional milk to make a nice broth
6. heat & add generous pepper
7. add a slice of butter on each bowl if desired
8. some people add flour to thicken.
9. ENJOY! CHEAP & DELICIOUS!
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!